Problem with wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mervyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Dear All - I have a problem with wasps bothering a hive any suggestions on what to do?

I would also spend some time following the wasps back to their nest - usually within 500 m and destroy it !!

S

350 yards.......or so my commercial mentor told me.

Something else we were discussing this afternoon..

You need a few wasp traps. 1 Jam jar, 1 desert spoon of jam (raspberry or strawberry tends to be best), 1 teaspoon washing up liquid. Fill 1/3 with water, shake well, place next to hive.
The wasps fall for it every time, the bees ignore it.

I will definately try that vortex, simple :)

With a jam jar they can easily fly out. What I do is get a plastic milk carton. Put in mixture as Vortex says. I then cut little flaps that I bend up in the sides of the carton towards the top of the carton. The wasps crawl in, take flight and cannot fly out again so usually bump into the sides and fall in the liquid.
The wasps are early this year. I have had to close down all hive entrances much earlier than usual.

What do you mean 'bothering'?

Yes just a tad subjective. Need something more objective.

Probably all hives are 'bothered' by wasps.

Only the weak or leaky get 'bothered' to any greater extent than wasps around the entrance keeping the guard bees 'on their toes'.

It is when they regularly gain entrance that one needs to think they are seriously 'bothering' the colony. Numbers of wasps around that hive will be increasing.

When they emerge without bees chasing them the 'bothering' is serious.

If when looking in the hive one finds wasps on the crownboard overnight the colony is being 'bothered' to death.

Yes, 'bothered' needs a little additional description.

Regards, RAB

The weaker of my two hives has been "bothered" by wasps the past few days - did find one in the crownboard and during insection came across another 3. Found to my horror that I'd left a small gap in the OMF which they were getting in through. Now sealed, entrance lessened and a variety of traps left about.

Seems to have diminished though the odd one does make it through the front and doesnt always immediately get balled out. I'm hoping they are coming from a nest found at my next door neighbours which would be within striking distance

Latest posts

Back