Problem of 2 phases in my stored honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclewis

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
This year I harvested my OSR honey in 2 batches. The first lot as soon as the first supers were capped the second at the end of the OSR flowering. The first batch I creamed in the classic way and it has stored so far with no problem at all. The water content was just over 17%. The second batch was much more difficult to extract as it had in places started to crystallise in the cells and I was lucky to get it out. However the water content was higher than the first batch at just a tad under 20%. I creamed that too and have stored it in my subterranean garage, so nice and cool. Now there are signs of slight separation into 2 phases. The creamed honey on the bottom and a couple of mm’s of liquid honey above that. I have tasted the liquid and the creamed honey below and there are no off flavours so I do not believe there has been any fermentation. Do you think that it’s a problem of the water content of this second batch? or alternatively could this be because the honey at the time of the harvesting was a mix of OSR and other flowers (notably false acacia, known for staying liquid). Shouldn’t the creaming process of ensured that even acacia honey should have crystallised?

This slight duel phase is somewhat off putting to clients. All I can think of suggesting to them is either pour off the liquid phase and use or stir in the liquid honey, but that just incorporates air and becomes unsightly too.

Are there any other suggestions to rectify the problem now?

Alternatively what can I do in the future to avoid a repeat?

Alternatively what can I do in the future to avoid a repeat?

Il est non difficile, n'est pas? You have two batches of honey and one is not exhibiting any of the problems of batch 2?

I would be checking the water content of the liquid phase. I suspect it is even higher than the 'tad under 20%'. If it is, I would envisage possible fermentation problems when brought from your 'cool subterranean garage/store' into a much warmer environment.

RAB

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at the water content of the liquid layer. But it is splitting into the 2 phases in the cool store even before it comes back to normal room temperature. I'll let you know what the reading is.

As honey crystalises the water content of the remaining honey which is still liquid (and there will be liquid in almost any set honey unless it possibly has the consistency of concrete) rises. This is how set honey can start to ferment even when in theory the water content was below the magical 20%. The fermentation starts in the liquid part as the honey crystalises.

You can see "secondary" crystalisation happening in jars of set honey when the surface next to the jar frosts over. This is caused by the honey shrinking as it crystalises further. The crystals taking up less space as this happens.

I guess that the crystals in the batch of set honey have been slowly growing and joining together, forcing more water out into the liquid fraction. The position now is you effectively have a layer of runny honey on top of the set honey.

One option would be to melt the lot and re-seed it and start again. This is an ideal time to make set honey as it nice and cold.

You could just try mixing it all up again but it would be worth checking the texture of the set honey first.

I guess that the crystals in the batch of set honey have been slowly growing and joining together, forcing more water out into the liquid fraction. The position now is you effectively have a layer of runny honey on top of the set honey.

One option would be to melt the lot and re-seed it and start again. This is an ideal time to make set honey as it nice and cold.

You could just try mixing it all up again but it would be worth checking the texture of the set honey first.

Seeing as the the moisture content was at the upper limit to start with, its quite possible that this top layer is higher still. If so, removing this would help the rest to store- I think you may be looking at scooping off the runny layer, then re-creaming and re-bottling the rest.

Better to warm it in the presence of a dehumidifier, giving the surface a stir occasionally until the consistency of the top seems thick enough then mix it all up and re seed and set as Rooftops suggested.

Latest posts

Back