Probably a silly question....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martind111

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
....or asked a thousand times, so I apologise.

I've a nuc coming in 2 weeks, everything's set up ready, BUT, after much research I'm a little lost on the initial feeder for when the frames are first added to my hive. I actually bought the type that poke in the entrance with an upturned container full of syrup, is this ok?

Thanks for putting up with me

Martin.

I would not personally feed them as they should come with a frame of stores and with the OSR and the likes around they will soon find pollen and nectur around.

Lovely, that's put my mind at rest, thanks for the very prompt reply.

Martin.

Last edited:
So the person buys the nuc and the weather turns nasty for a week.

What are these poor bees to do. They are faced with 6 frames of foundation are they not?

I would invest in a frame feeder, or as you are local to me I will damn well lend you one. Then the bees can be assured of having the resources to do what they need to do to expand properly which is build comb.

Sorry to say but the feeder you have bought is pretty much a toy and not that handy.

Pm me for info if you want.

PH

Poly Hive;52141end you one. Then the bees can be assured of having the resources to do what they need to do to expand properly which is build comb. Sorry to say but the feeder you have bought is pretty much a toy and not that handy. Pm me for info if you want. PH[/QUOTE said:
I bow to your superier wisdom PH...cos, i forgot the Nuc is not going to be one on my hand crafted Nucs with varoa mesh, roof, travel screen and crown board but a Nuc akin to cardboard or chipboard box and possbile no roof to put the feeder under....so yes a frame feeder will be better as you can use it in a nuc and brood box

Last edited:
When our nucs arrived from Easy Bee, they were in correx boxes. We immediately hived them - so 5 frames from the nuc box (stores and brood), and a few frames of foundation, with the rest of the BB blocked off with a spacer board. We just used a contact feeder (a £4 plastic bucket) over the crownboard. As they expanded, we just added more frames of foundation until the BB was full - which it was in about 6 weeks.

At this stage in the year, I don't see the advantage of keeping a nuc in a nuc box - you want them to build up, so you might as well hive them.

Latest posts

Back