Probable CBPV in my hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Noticed on the landing boards of all three hives that there has been a small number of bees that look and behave like they have CBPV. Video attached of one of them. There are some bees dead out the front of the hives, but not piles of them (yet). The dead bees look like a mixture of those clearly affected and the normal dead who have been thrown out. Also have a hived swarm in a nuc (from one of the affected hives) and the parent colony from a Snelgrove that do not have the same signs at present. Do people agree and any tips, although I do appreciate that the prognosis is not good if it is CBPV? 😢

Attachments

• 538E826A-CC10-4521-9C4C-A966691133EA.MOV
    9.7 MB
First things first don't panic, there may be an explanation without fearing the worst. I've not viewed the video/pics yet but my experience with CBPV has been a carpet of dead bees on the mesh and a lot of dead outside in front of the hive.

Agree with swarm
Carpet of dead bees on the floor in front of the hive
Trembling bees falling off the landing board
Bees throwing sick ones out
Bees trembling on frames and top bars
Bees with dislocated wings sticking out....K wing
These are the symptoms of CBPV

Not had CBPV in my own bees but seen it in others. (Another good reason to be very careful in cleaning tools etc between apiaries)
As above, usually lots (100s) of dead/dying bees on entrance/floors, bees with shiny bodies having lost fur, bees shivering staggering etc.

Yours is an order of magnitude smaller and video is not very clear.

Don't panic and wait to see what happens - is my advice.
If it gets worse, post another video with a few closeups if you can.

We had CBPV in some of our hives for two years running. It didn't show till June when the colonies were at their biggest. All the symptoms were exactly as Dani says above. Big piles of dead bees on the ground under the entrance every couple of days. From memory it didn't kill the queens, and the hives recovered once the density of workers was low enough = reduced transmission.

I think it's endemic at low level in many apiaries but only becomes a problem in a specific combination of circumstances.

Latest posts

Back