Pro vap 220

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Treating myself to one of these for Xmas.

Now not being the technical type especially when it comes to electricity/battery power, I need the advice of someone who is technically competent off the forum.

From the pro vap advert:

The vaporizer is a 220 volt electrical appliance, 250 watts, 2.2 amps.

I've calculated it needs 508 Watts and so a 600W inverter would be ideal although they seem to command a higher price for some reason.

Therefore I was thinking, why not buy a 1000w inverter as it will only be working at 60% capacity?

Or have I misunderstood how they work?

Thanks H

So is mine until xmas :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Have a look round Lidl. They do a 1200W inverter generator for £99. Still two left in my local

Treating myself to one of these for Xmas.

Now not being the technical type especially when it comes to electricity/battery power, I need the advice of someone who is technically competent off the forum.

From the pro vap advert:

The vaporizer is a 220 volt electrical appliance, 250 watts, 2.2 amps.

I've calculated it needs 508 Watts and so a 600W inverter would be ideal although they seem to command a higher price for some reason.

Therefore I was thinking, why not buy a 1000w inverter as it will only be working at 60% capacity?

Or have I misunderstood how they work?

Thanks H

Something's not right here.

If the info is telling you 250 Watts, then that is what it is.

Yet, Watts = Volts x Amps, and 220 x 2.2 = 484 Watts.

I think possibly the 2.2 is a mistake here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The specs for the 110 model are -

The vaporizer is a 110 volt electrical appliance, 250 watts, 2.2 amps.

https://oxavap.com/product/provap-110-sidelinercommercial-vaporizer/

That makes sense, as 110V*2.2A = 242W (2.27A gets you to 250W)

I found an image for the 220 model on this page -

https://www.norfolk-honey.co.uk/product-page/provap220uk-oxalic-acid-sublimator

you can hover over the picture and magnify it.

The label clearly says that the 220 model is 230v, 275 Watt, 1.2 Amp.

Again, that makes sense.

So I think it possible that someone is confusing two sets of specs for two different models.

There is another image from a different supplier of the 220, which shows the 220 model as 220 Volts, 250 Watts, 2.2 Amps. As per your OP.

https://twitter.com/hvhoney/status/1050486395184267266

But that can't be right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suppliers are confusing the story.

Higher supply voltage needing lower amperage, but getting roughly the same amount of work done, to me seems most likely.

110 model gives you 250 Watts.
220 model gives you 275 Watts.

But you need to get the manufacturers specs to be certain. I have tried to find them online, to no avail.

Last edited:
It will be usual UK voltage around 230v now harmonised in Europe, the device cant change that, 230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

You need to add the loss of efficiency of the inverter, they run from 70% to about 90% for really good one.

The big problem is the start up power which can be 2 - 10X the usual output so if you buy an inverter you need to add this in and whether or not it will run sine or modified sine.

I run a Sublimox with a 500w pure sine Victron Phoenix 500 inverter.

It will be usual UK voltage around 230v now harmonised in Europe, the device cant change that, 230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

You need to add the loss of efficiency of the inverter, they run from 70% to about 90% for really good one.

The big problem is the start up power which can be 2 - 10X the usual output so if you buy an inverter you need to add this in and whether or not it will run sine or modified sine.

I run a Sublimox with a 500w pure sine Victron Phoenix 500 inverter.

Not sure I understand your math. Remembering I'm not technically astute in the dark art of electricity.

If your inverter is say 90% efficient does that mean whilst its rated as 500w its actually only good for 450w?

How do you calculate start up power? I'm not familiar with this term.

Also, I guess my main question is what's wrong with buying a 1000w and be done with it?

Have a look round Lidl. They do a 1200W inverter generator for £99. Still two left in my local[/QUOTE

Haven't got a link have you?

It's old stock. Bit of a pick and mix. No longer available online.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

what's wrong with buying a 1000w and be done with it?

Nothing wrong with that. If you need 500 W the 1 KW inverter will deliver it with no problem other than it'll probably be larger and heavier than a lower power inverter.

Not sure I understand your math. Remembering I'm not technically astute in the dark art of electricity.

If your inverter is say 90% efficient does that mean whilst its rated as 500w its actually only good for 450w?

How do you calculate start up power? I'm not familiar with this term.

Also, I guess my main question is what's wrong with buying a 1000w and be done with it?

Probably nothing, is the answer. Because, the US distributor's page is fairly direct...

The vaporizer is a 110 volt electrical appliance, 250 watts, 2.2 amps. Just plug it in to an inexpensive inverter, generator or use house current.

https://oxavap.com/product/provap-110-sidelinercommercial-vaporizer/

Not overly-informative, certainly doesn't suggest anything about being sensitive to clean output or start-up/inrush currents, but then I'm curious as to what could be in the provap black box to justify that price ?

Anyway, I would go for an Inverter Generator rather than an inverter.

The inverter is small and light, but you still need a battery.

An Inverter Generator otoh, is basically a generator which internally converts the AC it produces into DC, and then Inverts it back into a much cleaner AC output.

Very versatile, very useful piece of kit around the home. Not prohibitively heavy for lugging around the apiary, and obviously no need to lug a battery around when vaping.

That being said - this guy on youtube supplies the pro vap 220 in the UK and I found his video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWc4wU-9OY

He's using it with a Clarke inverter. It certainly looks like the 600 watt model from the Machine Mart website.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ci1200b-600w-power-inverter/

If that was recommended to him, as he says, then that seems a reasonable indication of what you need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit nerdy, but very simplified FYI...

Start-up power refers to the huge inrush of current you get momentarily when you start up certain devices eg electric motors, transformers, pumps etc.

Perfectly normal, but often it's multiples of 'continuous current'. If the inverter can't manage that momentary load, it might shut down, or might damage either itself or the load device if it happens once too often. If it's borderline capable, it might reduce the output voltage.

It's not usual to expect the average punter to calculate/know the start-up power/surge power/power factor of a device, so to be very cautious, have the specs in hand and take them to the inverter shop.

Again, our man above seems to be using 600W capacity on advice, to power 250~275W load. Assuming no problems encountered, 1000W would seem to be very comfortable !

---------------------------------------------------------------

'Pure sine-wave', and 'modified sine-wave', refer to the AC output waveform, a result of the technology that creates that sine wave. 'Pure sine-wave' (~ 90% efficiency iirc) is 'cleaner' power, whereas 'modified sine-wave' (~75% efficiency iirc) will be less efficient in running motors etc, and yes, it's to be factored in as you did.

Also- standard words of theoretical caution here - 'modified' may cause overheating and/or damage to sensitive electronics.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited:
Go for a small petrol generator - far fewer issues and you wouldn’t want to drain your battery miles away from civilisation in your new 4x4 because then I’d have to come
And give you a tow....!

Latest posts

Back