priorities

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I have a small colony of bees that I am trying to make stronger before Winter.

Although I know the parent colony has varroa (and will be treating as soon as this wind goes away!), when is a good time to treat the smaller colony.

I understand Apiguard puts the queen off laying ?!?

Needless to say, the brood is very important to make the colony larger before winter, but I understand apiguard does not really work below 15 degree's C, so if I leave them too long, it will be too late to treat. (?)

Thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

I understand Apiguard puts the queen off laying ?!?

I think its a case of Apiguard CAN put the queen off laying, that wasn't the case in one of my colonies, the other did stop laying but I suspect that was due to supercedure rather than the Apiguard

I think its a case of Apiguard CAN put the queen off laying, that wasn't the case in one of my colonies, the other did stop laying but I suspect that was due to supercedure rather than the Apiguard

feed at same time, this may counter slower laying as she may pickup - this is what I am hoping for on some of my weaker nucs

I have not found any of my queens going off lay, but as Jezd says a feed will keep her going - good tip.
Mike

Latest posts

Back