pricing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and I charge the same for a new seasons one in the lead in to Ling time. Ready to promote and send to the hill and get a super of honey before the end of the season.

Do NOT sell any later than that as a failure to provide bees that the new owner can get through winter just gives a bad reputation.

ps.....NOT an advert........the home bred nucs are all booked up for this season.

TBH I am finding the £200 incredible. let alone the 2nd hand ply nuc aspect.

PH

6 frame over wintered nuc near me is £300-00 inc poly box. Beat that !! 1/2lb jar of honey £6-00 ! Some people are just greedy I guess.:)

Hear in France a 6 frame nuc on dadant is €140-160 in poly,and cheaper if you buy in quantity.The uk seems expensive for bee's.

Supply and demand?
Market forces?

£160 for the bees and queen ???.... loose.. or in whatever container that bees can be put in!

Quite a few in this neck of the woods would have paid a lot more last season just to get some local bees!

Nos da

The UK is extremely expensive and there's some crap being sold also. Just wish some where more willing to communicate, would make my life simple lol

we sell ours for £140 plus £10 delivery and installation within 10 miles, these are 6 frame nuc`s with our own grafted 2017 queens on National or Langstroth frames, we had a limited number of over wintered Nuc`s but decided to keep theses, so i think £200 is a bit on the expensive side.

I paid £199 for a 6 frame nuc in the carboard box type nuc from the beeman and don't have a problem with that....I got 5 frames loaded with healthy bees and a great laying queen and a frame of stores....its a true saying,,,,u get what u pay for

6 frame over wintered nuc near me is £300-00 inc poly box. Beat that !! 1/2lb jar of honey £6-00 ! Some people are just greedy I guess.:)

That is just plain robbery. Shop around, there are plenty of nucs available with quality queens for far less than that.
I know one guy near to me selling Nuc's headed by Island mated Buckfast Queens F1 progeny that are excellent queens for well under £200 including poly nuc!

Hear in France a 6 frame nuc on dadant is €140-160 in poly,and cheaper if you buy in quantity.The uk seems expensive for bee's.

Spain even cheaper. You can pick up good nucs there from April for about 55 to 60 pounds.....with a young queen and ready to explode on the OSR. Go to parts of Eastern Europe and then they cost even less.

That's why there is an illicit trade in the back of fridge vans goes on. Pick up in Spain or Italy or misc. E. European sources for very little, and they hit the market here at UK prices, often purporting to be local.

France suffers the same as us, nucs come over from Spain and then are sold as black bees in the south. Spanish price immediately becomes French price and the bees are rebadged, and even then some then come to the UK, leaves Spain at 50 pounds or so, becomes French and leaves there at 80 pounds or so, arrives in the UK and is sold for 150 pounds.

Last spring a Spanish nuc producer was trying to offload a stack of BS National nucs to me that he had bred for a well know UK vendor and had failed to secure payment for the load before. He did in the hundreds a year for this guy. Nice black bees too...very black....but....also none too great temper and swarming wise.

The UK market is very insular and a bit artificial in many ways. Our bees are very expensive, as are all our home produced appliances. Our honey is also at the high end of the market if you look like for like (UK OSR v EU OSR for example...exactly the same, but from 1,5 to 3 times the prices for UK). Ireland even more so.

The high prices for bees on the UK market is driven by the amateur sector who decide they want bees and they want them NOW and do not really mind (in general) how much they cost.

Last edited:
The UK market is very insular and a bit artificial in many ways. Our bees are very expensive, as are all our home produced appliances. Our honey is also at the high end of the market if you look like for like (UK OSR v EU OSR for example...exactly the same, but from 1,5 to 3 times the prices for UK). Ireland even more so.

So true. Luckily I have not heard of anyway of a proliferation of imported cheap nucleus colonies. the market is to fragmented and small anyway to support such .

A Nucleus of Black bees here, in a Paynes Polynuc will set you back 250. Yo Yo's . 2016 mated Queen clipped and marked, strong colony. Ready to produce a crop in a fair year.

I think whilst not cheap a reasonable price, appreciate Polyhive's comment about taking 7 minutes to assemble, but do not think that is accurate from an overall view of what is involved. The onward management if it is overwintered , as this price is for, is a bit more onerous. That is if produced of course to the standard they should be, Autumn treatment and Winter, monitored for food etc.

I have produced quite a few myself and I am sure my technique can and will be improved , but 250€ is again a reasnoble price.IMO :)

I use 14 x 12 maisemores 6 frame nucs and when they are hived within a couple of weeks I put a super on them. Bees do seem to like poly nucs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You know what they say, "buy cheap, pay dear"

and "price isn't everything"

You know what they say, "buy cheap, pay dear"

and "price isn't everything"

In bees that can be very misleading. Have seen wonderful imported nucs at a friends in the south that he only paid 50 quid for (lovely carnica from Slovenia), and have had a lot of requests for queens to requeen 'local' nucs bought for far too much money (220 pounds) that were actually unpleasant to handle.

Its always buyer beware. 'Always buy local' is sometimes just a (deliberate or otherwise) move to get people to pay too much for questionable and unselected stock.

I'm only small scale but trying to build up, I've decided to sell one or possibly two of my 'overwintered' National Nucs, local mutts but fairly calm, I would keep them but the only way I can buy more kit is by selling off a couple, I sold one last year for £140.00 and will advertise these for £150.00, I don't think that's too bad myself for an overwintered nucleus colony including the Nuc once they have started to fill the box again, and yes, easy to start one but feeding and labour in maintaining them does add to the outlay.

I'm pleased to see I'm not too far off the mark reading through the thread :)

I've seen some advertised for £200.00 plus, which I think is a bit steep!

In bees that can be very misleading. Have seen wonderful imported nucs at a friends in the south that he only paid 50 quid for (lovely carnica from Slovenia), and have had a lot of requests for queens to requeen 'local' nucs bought for far too much money (220 pounds) that were actually unpleasant to handle.

Its always buyer beware. 'Always buy local' is sometimes just a (deliberate or otherwise) move to get people to pay too much for questionable and unselected stock.

Yep, and I've seen loads of cheap bees riddled with pests, disease and non viable queens.

How much are you paid from Italy?

How much are you paid from Italy?

People who get the Italian origin Buckfasts are generally very happy with them....however...for sake of clarity as perhaps an assumption is being made...the individual queens requested referred to above are from our home reared unit.

Latest posts

Back