price of half a pound of honey in jar.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stroud market rate is about £3.50 for a small (i.e. half pound) jar, £4.50 for a 12oz hex jar.

Stroud market rate is about £3.50 for a small (i.e. half pound) jar, £4.50 for a 12oz hex jar.

similar £3.75 for half pound, £4.50 for 12oz

Tesco sells half pound english set honey for £3.84m and morrison sell half pound runny for £3.99

( not to be confused with Tesco 99p for 12oz Value honey)

average price for a pound of honey over the years is said to be an agricultural workers hourly wage , so £6 per lb or £4.50 12oz is about that

Last edited:
Put it in cold storage like Mitsubishi are doing with tuna... and when there is none left... as in "gone extinct" sell it/them for hundreds of millions of yen!

I would like to keep bees next year.
But it looks like there is not much to be made from selling honey.
My local farm shop is selling pound jars from 3 local producers for £3.75.

£2.80 we sell it for at our local Thursday market. £5.00 for comb honey and £3.20 for pure heather per half pound

I would like to keep bees next year.
But it looks like there is not much to be made from selling honey.
My local farm shop is selling pound jars from 3 local producers for £3.75.

It is a wee bit like jam and chutney making and selling my friend. Unless YOU go out and GET the market, you will only make pin money from it. My wife has a small business doing jams and chutnies and, if she is not out there, on the phone or emailing shops and people every day, she doesn't get a huge return. She has to do everything as well, the shops don't come to her other than the initial phone call if she is lucky. If you want to run a business that pays the mortgage/rent and everything else, be prepared to work a 12 hour day minimum and about 9 days a week:) AND have LOTS of hives on the go with all that is involved as well. Not trying to put you of but, Louise and I are doing it and know what to expect from "Joe Public" and local shops.

Latest posts

Back