Pretty Poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers PH just thought i would ask as I have one but wont paint it at least with your experience i knew you would have a good idea. So if it is not painted it will last as long as one that is unpainted. I will be the test case then.

But it will look horrible - covered in green algae with snail trails. Over time frost will damage the surface and the snails will rasp away at the surface as well - not so much as to destroy it but it will get scruffier and scruffier.

A well painted poly hive looks the part - so don't let the poly side down through poor turnout!

Thanks rooftops now I understand the reason for painting :) makes sence but i have a plan as i am currently insulating a 20' shipping container as well and i plan to house my hives inside this later in the season and hopefully this will stop any weathering. I just really wanted to know the effect over the next few months. Mainly though i am doing it for over wintering and making inspections easier.

Bit of a waste of a container....last time I got a quote, and I am going back 15 years or so, it was £1500 + near £1000 to deliver.

In some respects the bees will do better outside than in. Bee houses have their own problems.

PH

Hi PH i have 47 containers so I am sure I can spare one I already have it to keep my bee equipment safe and sound so it is already wasted by your views.
For me it is not a waste it just makes my life easier.

Sorry PH sent before I finished, yes I understand bee houses have issues but will try and if not the best idea they can move back out and I still have a container insulated that I can add power to and get more space for checking out incubator calibrations.

Hmm now a completely different story.

If I were asked is it worth buying a container to convert to a bee house the answer would be no.

Good luck with it but remember the bees need to be able to get out the house and back in their entrances.

PH

The deed is done! A trip to HBase today to secure some of their finest masonry paint. Alas, not much in the way of apiary-suitable colours unless you like cream, magnolia and other housey shades. The beekeeper's apprentice suggested 'Terracota' as a nice shade.

Winker will love this...

"That's pink"
"No, it'll dry to a biscuity, clay sort of colour"
"Looks pink to me"
"No, no, don't be silly, Terracotta is the colour of clay- Terra - Cotta"
"Yes, I know that but it still looks pink on the tin".

I conceded and bought the pink preservative. Later, brush in hand...

"It's going on pink"
"I told you, it'll dry to a darker colour".

It's dry.

And it's pink.

Anyway... surely no need to paint the inside too is there?

"What's that you're doing? Pink pillowcases...?"

Last edited:
No need to paint the inside as the bees will "varnish" it.

Not is it good to paint the mating surfaces.

PH

Winker will love this...

"That's pink"
"No, it'll dry to a biscuity, clay sort of colour"
"Looks pink to me"
"No, no, don't be silly, Terracotta is the colour of clay- Terra - Cotta"
"Yes, I know that but it still looks pink on the tin".

I conceded and bought the pink preservative. Later, brush in hand...

"It's going on pink"
"I told you, it'll dry to a darker colour".

It's dry.

And it's pink.

Anyway... surely no need to paint the inside too is there?

"What's that you're doing? Pink pillowcases...?"

Thats exacly what i got, and where i got it from! Terracotta my back side! At least you kow whats its going to look like. And i have enough to paint another 10 hives...

Last edited:
Winker - now, if your earlier post had read "whatever you do, don't go to Hbase and buy Terracotta (which is really, pink)..."

Oh well, we might start a trend - I've got 2.5 litres.

Last edited:
Ours will be Johnson's "Cayenne Spice" or "Fireflower". Sound posh, but are variations on a theme of ... pink!

They were cheap, end of line in a local shop, so there wasn't a lot of choice. These are 'kitchen and bathroom' paint, which I believe (hope) will work.

Latest posts

Back