Pressure canning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don't really post on here anymore as I gave up keeping bees several years ago, I still lurk though :cool:. I retired from working at the beginning of this year and as I was self employed, the management bought me a pressure canner (from the US of A). It is one of the best cooking implements I have bought. Pressure canning is not much heard of here in the UK, it tends to be a homestead type thing, but if you are trying to be self sufficient (I am) and grow a lot of your own vegetables and fruit then it is a good way to go. I came in this evening late, opened a jar of beef stew, heated it up

I don't really post on here anymore as I gave up keeping bees several years ago, I still lurk though :cool:. I retired from working at the beginning of this year and as I was self employed, the management bought me a pressure canner (from the US of A). It is one of the best cooking implements I have bought. Pressure canning is not much heard of here in the UK, it tends to be a homestead type thing, but if you are trying to be self sufficient (I am) and grow a lot of your own vegetables and fruit then it is a good way to go. I came in this evening late, opened a jar of beef stew, heated it up

I bought my wife an "All American" 930 for Christmas 2019. I think it's great - just wish we had more jars!

Ooooo another gadget. I’m off to explore
Thanks frisbee

Ooooo another gadget. I’m off to explore
Thanks frisbee
You already have the gadget .... your Lidl Jam maker. All you need is some of the Kilner jars with the two part lid. They are a bit phobic in the USA about 'canning' - basically preserving and then heating the canned produce be it fruit, vegetables or even jam in the jar submerged in boiling water in the canner and then sealing the lids.

Personally - I don't think it's necessary for jams and chutneys and for vegetables and fruit it was a process developed by Homesteaders in the USA before the advent of modern freezers. I prefer to freeze fruit and veg and then vacumn pack it with my Lidl vacumn sealer.

Here you go ...

https://www.freshpreserving.com/water-bath-canning.html

They are a bit phobic in the USA about 'canning' - basically preserving and then heating the canned produce be it fruit, vegetables or even jam in the jar submerged in boiling water in the canner and then sealing the lids.

Personally - I don't think it's necessary for jams and chutneys and for vegetables and fruit it was a process developed by Homesteaders in the USA before the advent of modern freezers. I prefer to freeze fruit and veg and then vacumn pack it with my Lidl vacumn sealer.

I agree. I soon fell foul of the safety police on a UK Facebook canning group, when I was told I should water bath jams and pickles!! What nonsense. I have been bottling/canning fruit for years by basically cooking the fruit, heating to boiling and then straight into Kilner style jars. But using a pressure canner means I can do vegetables and meat (and fish) and have a meal in a jar and in large quantities. Cooking for one on a daily basis is at best tedious. The biggest issue with freezing is it needs a certain amount of pre-planing in order to have the food defrosted.

I was also amused by the safety police who had written to the Kilner jar manufacturers asking if their jars were safe for the procedure. Kilner said they hadn't been tested for such things and so couldn't recommend. Some of mine I'm using are really old jars. Hey ho.

Frisbee

I bought my wife an "All American" 930 for Christmas 2019. I think it's great - just wish we had more jars!

Mine is a Presto. I couldn't justify the cost of the All American, they do look good though. Mine is deep, so you can piggy-back jars.

I got a good deal recently on fleabay on some Eerin jars. You don't have to use Ball or Kilner, go with the offers. I also have useful information concerning lids if you're interested.

Mine is a Presto. I couldn't justify the cost of the All American, they do look good though. Mine is deep, so you can piggy-back jars.

I got a good deal recently on fleabay on some Eerin jars. You don't have to use Ball or Kilner, go with the offers. I also have useful information concerning lids if you're interested.

Yes.
The AA930 will pressure can a case of quart jars at a time. It's really more than we need. My view is: if you're going to do something - overdo it! ;):LOL:

@pargyle You use the pressure canner for low-acid foods and a water-bath canner for acidic food (fruit. jam, jellies, etc). They serve different purposes. Basically, anything you might buy in a can would be pressure canned (which a bit misleading because they're jars lol). I make up a big batch of bolognese sauce, chilli - that sort of thing. Then its on the shelf whenever I fancy an easy meal.

I agree. I soon fell foul of the safety police on a UK Facebook canning group, when I was told I should water bath jams and pickles!! What nonsense. I have been bottling/canning fruit for years by basically cooking the fruit, heating to boiling and then straight into Kilner style jars. But using a pressure canner means I can do vegetables and meat (and fish) and have a meal in a jar and in large quantities. Cooking for one on a daily basis is at best tedious. The biggest issue with freezing is it needs a certain amount of pre-planing in order to have the food defrosted.

I was also amused by the safety police who had written to the Kilner jar manufacturers asking if their jars were safe for the procedure. Kilner said they hadn't been tested for such things and so couldn't recommend. Some of mine I'm using are really old jars. Hey ho.

Frisbee

What's the worst that could happen? You might break a jar and have to throw some food out - but Kilner jars are great. They do the job perfectly.

What's the worst that could happen? You might break a jar and have to throw some food out - but Kilner jars are great. They do the job perfectly.

Quite. I've had the odd jar crack and of course this means they don't seal. In fairness they could have been cracked before I canned them. I stick them in the freezer and put a lid on when they are frozen. The jars aren't going to explode.

Oh, Chieveley services - waypoint one when returning to the boat, either straight on for London Ports or South for the Solent and a handy rendevous for some crew members away from the prying eyes of the senior management.

Latest posts

Back