Preserving the wood inside the hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggymole

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
None yet.
I'm busy getting my first (ever) hive ready. The outside is being painted in exterior satin paint but what would you recommend I use inside? Do you have a particular "recipe" or use an off the shelf product?

Pros/Cons and other suggestions all gratefully recieved.

Ziggy

Easy, let the bees do it, they coat most with a thin layer of wax and also propolis gets used inside the hive, there is now no wood preserver approved for inside beehives, the last wast cuprinol clear but that has been altered and is not recommended for beehives

Hi Ziggy. If you have a cedar hive, paint isn't the best option as it seals and stops the wood from 'breathing'. Cedar has natural preserving oils. Paint does serve to protect other woods lacking in natural protection.

Bees will decorate the inside to their own preference.

bees will cover every available (to them) surface with a microscopic layer of propolis, so no need to do anything to inside surfaces of a hive

Easy, let the bees do it, they coat most with a thin layer of wax and also propolis gets used inside the hive, there is now no wood preserver approved for inside beehives, the last wast cuprinol clear but that has been altered and is not recommended for beehives

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
VM

bees will cover every available (to them) surface with a microscopic layer of propolis, so no need to do anything to inside surfaces of a hive

Nice concise response.:cool:

Sorted.

Chris

Thank you it's been quite suprising to have a unanimous response. I'll leave the bees to it, I'd read somewhere the inside was rubbed with a beeswax/linseed oil mix ??

Ziggy

Latest posts

Back