Preparing for supersedure or swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Tel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have a double brood which is brimming with bees. Last week noticed a couple of queen cells uncapped on the face of a single comb. I assumed they were signs of supersedure so left well alone. 5 days later (last night) decided to open up and bees still there and now there are approximately another couple of frames with signs of uncapped and capped QCs. In total across the two boxes probably about 7-8 QCs and nearly all of them on the face of the comb. Signs of eggs but not as prolific as it was. Two supers are almost filled and a third was added last night. Have also been swapping brood boxes to try and prevent swarming from occuring. So the question is do I leave well alone and assume this is supersedure or should I take precaution. I assumed that if it was going to swarm it would have done already and they'll be a large number of cells hanging from the bottom bars (but there aren't).....thoughts?

TBH they have swarmed already by the sounds of it, hence the reducing numbers of eggs as they change to lavae!

Unless you saw the queen, which you do not mnetion?

This time of year it is better to take as swarming, - if you do not know youself

" Signs of eggs but not as prolific as it was. Two supers are almost filled and a third was added last night. "

So you had 2 brood and 2 almost filled supers, and no extra space where they rippen the nectar.

It seems lack of space. It is better now to do AS with foundations.

One full box of honey needs 2 boxes more where bees can dry up the nectar.

-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back