preparing and storing supers and honey frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How do people do this? Once you've taken the honey out of your supers what is the general sequence?

I've been told it's good to put the supers back on to let the bees clean out the rest of the honey, but have been treating with apiguard since then so haven't wanted to taint the comb. Is it too late to do so now? And is there any risk they will start filling the comb up again?

If not, do you just store the frames inside the supers as is until it's time to put them back on next year? And is it important to store them in any particular type of environment?

I've also heard it can be a good idea to freeze the frames for a couple of days to help get rid of pests such as wax moth. Is this worth doing?

I store mine 6 high in a barn, no gaps. Empty super / BB on top. Then I use sulpher strips 1 * month to keep top side of wax moth etc. Make sure mice dont get in. Others will have their prefered way. I know my mentor stores his outside in a big plastic bag, well sealed. He thinks the cold keeps the pests at bay. I see more bugs in the house than outside over winter, so he might be right.

Regards, Dave

Thanks Dave. And do you do anything to clean them up after extracting or just store them as they are?

I leave them in the apiary for the bees to clean off. You could put them above the crown board and they would do the same. Some store them wet.
Dave

Latest posts

Back