Pre emptive Demaree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivetool2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I recently have been reading and watching various channels in regards to the Demaree swarm control.
I'm going to give it a go this year but one video I watched demonstrated a pre emptive Demaree,which I fully understand the reasoning. have any of you had experience of this snd whst woukd you say woukd be the number of frames of brood to implement the pre emptive Demaree

Many thanks

HT

one video I watched demonstrated a pre emptive Demaree
All Demarrees are pre-emptive, that's the whole point. if they're reactive, it's not a Demarree. so all the videos you watched bar one were rubbish.

try this - Demaree

Hi all,

I recently have been reading and watching various channels in regards to the Demaree swarm control.
I'm going to give it a go this year but one video I watched demonstrated a pre emptive Demaree,which I fully understand the reasoning. have any of you had experience of this snd whst woukd you say woukd be the number of frames of brood to implement the pre emptive Demaree

Many thanks

HT
Hi. In my 1st year beekeeping. Found 2 charged QC's at very early stages. So have attempted the Demarre.

After 5 days when I see QC's in the top box, can I remove this too box and create a new hive? Or does it have to be split into a nuc?
Let's see what happens. Will try keep you posted.

Hi. In my 1st year beekeeping. Found 2 charged QC's at very early stages. So have attempted the Demarre.

After 5 days when I see QC's in the top box, can I remove this too box and create a new hive? Or does it have to be split into a nuc?
Let's see what happens. Will try keep you posted.
Don't be surprised if the bottom box has swarmed already, or is about to.
Have you checked?
Demarree is a proactive not reactive method - if they are already making swarm cells it's too late
But in answer to your question, if you wanted to do that, why Demarree in the first place? just split them

Don't be surprised if the bottom box has swarmed already, or is about to.
Have you checked?
Demarree is a proactive not reactive method - if they are already making swarm cells it's too late
But in answer to your question, if you wanted to do that, why Demarree in the first place? just split them
I haven't checked yet as did this 3 days ago. in the bottom box was only 1 frame with the queen and frames of foundation. I didn't split as had limited equipment.

What's the best method to split in your opinion?

Thanks. Really appreciate your advice. Its daunting knowing what I think to be correct, may not be.

If they have swarmed/preparing. Shall I then move the top brood box down again? Remove all but one QC?

If they have swarmed then yes, consolidate back to one box and reduce to one QC.
If the bottom box still has the queen but also QC's, I would remove the queen into a nuc as per post#6
If the queen is still there, but no QC's just hope that the Demarree still worked, cross your fingers and hope for the best

You can, but I would advise just take three good frames of brood off (and some QCs) and make up a nuc up with those, remembering you have all nurse bees, so they will also need feeding.

Latest posts

Back