Practice swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My Bees are in a field next to my house,I am incapacitated at the moment after an operation on my Foot (Coincidentally at world cup time :) ) to my point
One of my Hives swarmed yesterday,settled nearby, and then went back to the hive,this hive did this earlier in the year ? Today they did it again, they were out about an Hour before returning, I cannot get to them to do an inspection, however on the last inspection 10 days ago all was well, plenty of room etc.etc
I just think the little b******s are teasing me.
i have got a very understanding missus, who suitably booted and suited went to look at them for me, but it is always difficult shouting instructions from my walking sticks, such is the life of a beekeepers missus.
Incidentally this hive was a swarm from last year,that she collected while i was on a fishing trip to France. Cannot wait to see what happens tomorrow

Bl**dy woman !
You would think she could bring the hive into the livingroom for you to go through them from the armchair!!

Do you have a cliped queen ?
Just that they may be returning because the queen cannot join them and will just wait to scarper when a virgin hatches in a few days.

Hi Admin
Definitely not a clipped queen, I don't clip, and she was collected last year form a good distance from this hive so she did swarm last year, I will have to wait and see,
I have kept bees for only 5 or 6 years, and made most of the mistakes the forum throws up, that is what makes this hobby so frustrating/fascinating i will post again if this develops

Could you not ask a favour from your local association, assuming you are a member, or another beekeeper in your area. I'm sure someone would help you out and inspect for you, you never know when the shoe may be on the other foot (or not in your case ;) )

Sounds like the 'missus' is being damned supportive! I dont think I'd push her too much futher. You might find one of those walking sticks pushed where it shouldn't go ... at least you'd be able to do an impression of a tripod and with a few casters fitted could trundle up to hives and have both hands free for inspections!
Will also be off my feet next week following a cartilage op, do you hire said 'missus' out per chance?

I know of at least 4 instances of this happening this year ! Why ? Who Knows !

Dean

I once overloaded a queen with marker paint. She survived until she swarmed, after which she was found walking on the lawn! I guess her bees went back in that time.

sorry Rosti missus is not available for hire,as a new pair of shoes every time she helps me is just too expensive for most folk

:iagree:

So true, my lovely wife helped me move some hives then said she wanted to take up reflexology. £650 for the course, chair and books. On the upside though after a hard day playing with the girls I can get a foot rub.

Did I say rub? hmm more like pummelling but its still nice. ;);)

Latest posts

Back