power lines and beehives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Hutchings

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Now up to 8 colonies due to splits and swarms !
Sorry for the newbeek question :)

I would like to move my beehives into a different part of my Garden. This area catches a lot more sunlight time than their current position but has household powerlines going across the area/near the area.
Ive heard high voltage lines can cause problems but will the lower power household ones have the same effect or is it a case of try it and see ?

Thanks for any answers :)

lol !!

Amazing pics Hivemaker .. looks like its worth putting them in the sunnier spot then !!

The allotment bees are directly underneath power lines. They haven't complained to me yet.

The photos in the link above I took at the power station I work at.

We have nearly 2,000 acres of farmland, all actively farmed. A large part of the land is a man-made hill, which is mainly made up of the fly ash and other waste products of the past.

Most of the land was bought for future disposal of the "waste" products, but these are now sold on as additional profit to the station for things like concrete fillers, road stone fillers aerated blocks etc, along with the main by product of the sulphur dioxide removal, Gypsum, for plaster board, of which we produce nearly 1 million tonnes per year.

As such the hill is no longer growing, but actively manged as a nature reserve and farms.

There are sheep and cattle on the hill and land, along with many other creatures, namely badgers and deer.

I would like to add a few hives to the site next year.

Latest posts

Back