Potential New Beekeeper in West Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justal

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,
I'm thinking of starting beekeeping here in my back garden in Borth, West Wales. Until recently I knew nothing at all about beekeeping but have been doing plenty of research and I'm finally coming to some decisions regarding hive type etc.

I'd thought I'd sign up here and join the beekeeping community before diving headlong into buying equipment and getting some bees, so I hope you'll make a complete beginner welcome.

I've just written my thoughts on hives down on my weblog which you can see here Beekeeping - What Equipment do I need? The Hive. Am I thinking along the right lines? Have I made the right decisions?

I live in a small bungalow on the coast with a moderate garden. We have sand dunes to the front of the house and a grazed field behind followed by raised peat bog. I'm not convinced that this is an ideal location for a beehive. Will there be enough food for the bees to forage? What about the exposure to the winds from the sea, will that affect the colony too much?

As you can tell, I'm a complete beginner so any help, advice or reassurance will be appreciated. I'd also like to make contact with any other local beekeepers.

Many thanks,
Al.

Hi Alan

Welcome on board. Your blog looks like you have researched a bit which is good. I would join a local association to get more information. Being so close to the coast wouldn't necessarily affect the bees, although wind will chill and so it might be prudent to shelter the hive behind a screen from the prevailing winds.
As regards forage, as long as there is varied forage within 2-3 miles inland then you'll be ok.

Although less popular now, it might pay to look at an old WBC hive as the better insulation might help, or even a poly hive.

Best of luck and welcome again

regards

S

Knowing Borth fairly well, I would describe it as tough territory for bees. But, bees will get by in most places.

Latest posts

Back