Postal polystyrene jar protectors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Have a mate & his Mrs up t'north from me shielding and he's asked for a couple of jars of honey from me. I recall years ago in the T's sale polystyrene cubes used to post honey in but haven't seen them since. Anyone know where I can get them or sell me a couple please?

Have a mate & his Mrs up t'north from me shielding and he's asked for a couple of jars of honey from me. I recall years ago in the T's sale polystyrene cubes used to post honey in but haven't seen them since. Anyone know where I can get them or sell me a couple please?
get some bubble wrap do same job

When I have to send jars of honey i get s length of card tube, the sort they roll carpet on, and cut it to the correct length for the number of jars. I then wrap the jars in bubble wrap and slide them into the tube. Cover the whole lot in brown paper and post!

now theres a couple good ideas thanks

This is the only one that big T's do nowadays - they used to make much better (and robust) boxes which carried six jars but no more unfortunately - they were made from a much denser Polystyrene

https://www.thorne.co.uk/packaging-...ners/plastic-honey-containers?product_id=2113

When I used to sell china on eBay there was a technique called double boxing. In that you wrap the item in bubble wrap, then a layer of cardboard, then another of bubble wrap then the outer box. I was always told to imagine a postal worker chucking your item into one of their wheeled cages then filling the cage to the top with other things. If you think your package will survive that then it's well packed. Never lost an item to breakage.

One tip I saw was first put the jar in a plastic bag and seal it, that way if there is a breakage it won't leak and it 'may' be possible to salvage the honey if the jar is just cracked.

Pembroke that is good advice. A couple of years ago we sent our son a food parcel of treats because he could not come back for Christmas, and put 2 jars of honey in the middle. We thought the parcel was well wrapped but when our son opened it everything was covered in honey from 1 jar breaking. Incidentally we had used Hermes not Royal Mail, and had 'fragile' plastered all over the box.

Pembroke that is good advice. A couple of years ago we sent our son a food parcel of treats because he could not come back for Christmas, and put 2 jars of honey in the middle. We thought the parcel was well wrapped but when our son opened it everything was covered in honey from 1 jar breaking. Incidentally we had used Hermes not Royal Mail, and had 'fragile' plastered all over the box.

Hermes dreadful - have 'lost' a package I sent with them a month ago and no bloody refund yet either. Case now with PayPal.

Just for balance, the lad who delivers for Hermes around here is first class.

It's not delivery I have had the problem with it's the effing courier who hasn't logged my package in so I can't even track it. Useless courier really but Hermes have my money for nuthin' and talking to them has been a waste of time = promised emails on progress etc never seen/sent.

I too have a very low opinion of Hermes however I've worked out that their efforts are focused heavily on keeping there large commercial contracts and not uncle jo cobbly et al happy. Never had a parcel/package go walkabout if the its a corporate contract its being delivered / returned under. It has always been the ones I send or receive from other non corps

Couriers' attitude is that if the item breaks it was not properly wrapped! Postman "dropped" a table lamp marked fragile over our gate. Did not hold out much hope unwrapping it, but it was saved by having a solid polished concrete base. However, the courier managed to break a Paynes' brood box.

We had a couple of doormats delivered by Hermes on Monday. The box was half open, and when we unpacked it we found it also contained a brush, a skirt and a wrench, none of which we'd ordered and none of which were supplied by our seller. They'd clearly got a number of broken boxes, and put the contents of all into the most solid one.
It wasn't that long ago that Hermes delivered something ordered by my wife, and labelled with the correct address and postcode, to a student hall of residence a couple of miles away.

We had a couple of doormats delivered by Hermes on Monday. The box was half open, and when we unpacked it we found it also contained a brush, a skirt and a wrench, none of which we'd ordered and none of which were supplied by our seller. They'd clearly got a number of broken boxes, and put the contents of all into the most solid one.
It wasn't that long ago that Hermes delivered something ordered by my wife, and labelled with the correct address and postcode, to a student hall of residence a couple of miles away.

Makes you wonder what sort of fantasist ordered that combo....

Seems that we are doing quite well then. Our Hermes woman is very busy and efficient.

They are in the Thorn's catalogue: Jar safe @ £1.60 each.

Latest posts

Back