possible Swarm ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hyde Ranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of my colonys on brood and ½ has queen cells on the bottom of the super in the middle of the brood nest these have grubs in them, yesterday there was a lot of bees flying about infront of the hive, today there were thousands of bees flying about all over the garden which landed on the the brood and ½ hive and marched in and there is a very loud buzzing from that hive compared to the one next to it, I got the bees from a swarm earlier this year, I din't see the queen on the last inspection but I did see some eggs, is it possible that my hive has swarmed and returned or could the bees be from another source, I am greatfull for any explanations or advise You may offer.

1]One of my colonys on brood and ½ has queen cells on the bottom of the super in the middle of the brood nest these have grubs in them,

2] yesterday there was a lot of bees flying about infront of the hive,

3]today there were thousands of bees flying about all over the garden which landed on the the brood and ½ hive and marched in .

1] when did you find theses QC was it yesterday or the day before, are they still in the hive

2] preparing to swarm

3] swarmed, was the queen clipped, look like the most likley scenerio

you could have a capped queen cell today,that you missed if you destroyed the others

Had a similar situation earlier in the year. All the bees were locked in for the day as the crops were being sprayed, and a swarm arrived that afternoon and landed on the floor of one hive, with some around an Apidea. Due to potential problems with members of the public. My only recourse was to open the hive up and let them in.

The guard bees came out in force and all defensive, but just put up a token defence then let them in. The colony numbers doubled in one hit, yet when I did an inspection a few days later, my original queen was still in residence.

I suspect that it was a queenless swarm that had decided they would seek out any queen and chose my apiary.

Most odd.
bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back