Possible swarm unite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
I have a DB hive with a last years laying Q and laying well but not very full .I also have a large swarm i collected five days ago that is situated in a paynes nuc enlarged .plus extension making it 8 over 8 about 20 foot away and full, I have not seen the q as yet in the swarm ,But i will go through them today.Due to lack of equipment i want to unite them, Propably the newspaper method. Will this work and if so will the bees go back to the Paynes stand 20 ft away or if succesfull stay ,Do i have to despatch aQ or do i just dump them all in the DB .I have done unites before but not like this and i am aprehensive about combining a swarm from ,could be anywhere. Thank You

If you unite through newspaper they will stay where you put them
As for dispatching one queen I certainly would but @Into the lions den hss said before that he often doesn’t bother and they manage ok. If you don’t mind which queen or neither survives then that is an option.

If you unite through newspaper they will stay where you put them
As for dispatching one queen I certainly would but @Into the lions den hss said before that he often doesn’t bother and they manage ok. If you don’t mind which queen or neither survives then that is an option.
You will get some flying back to the original site, I always do, move everything away including any stands and they will find the nearest hive!

An update,just got back from the hives and cheked the swarm and found a last years( white) marked Queen and it was one of mine and eggs .Talk about confusing because this swarm was collected several miles from the apiary.It got more confusing when i inspected the DB hive that i want to unite and found Queen cells and no eggs or Queen and from the ammount of bees i do not think they have swarmed .So i just united as planned and hope for the best. As for flying bees returning to original site i have an 8 frame nuce that was next to their original stand ,so they may locate to that . Phew so once again its. Bees 1/..Beekeeper 0./ Thank You

and from the ammount of bees i do not think they have swarmed
That is never a good indicator of whether they've swarmed or not. within a few hours of swarming, emerging brood and some returning from the swarm will have made up the missing numbers.
I have a hive I checked this morning, definitely swarmed a few weeks ago and is still bursting with bees

You will get some flying back to the original site, I always do, move everything away including any stands and they will find the nearest hive!
And I seldom do and my stands are not moveable. I always look the next day as they are invariably through the newspaper.

Back