Positive beekeeping plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know! I will be surprised if i don't out grow it this season (its not even built yet). :laughing-smiley-014
The landowner sent me a text a couple of months ago saying the shed was coming along really well and could we meet up to make plans for the barn.
This sounds good, I drove up the farm only to find out the text was for Steve the Carpenter :(

Hopefully positive plans.
we have moved into a new shed, racking is up, Thornes stock is arriving slowly.
for our own enterprise, just taken on an apprentice, 120 14x12 paradise poly are on order, most colonies will be double brooded on rape then split, evened up & new queen introduced, 100 ordered for July.
found out yesterday lost 400 acre of Linseed, but gained 300 of Beans which should still give us something in-between rape & heather.
Not sure what to do with the commercials yet, may just have them on one estate to make inspections easier.
If all goes to plan I will be shocked.

Reactions: mbc
The list is long, especially when you are at the bottom of the pit!

Get the new (secondhand donation) equipment shed installed on the farm now the landlord has flattened and cleared the beezone.
Keep the four surviving colonies alive and try demaree when swarming starts.
Put a bait nuc on the school allotment where we collected three swarms in six weeks last summer.
Try 3d printing my own foundation.

Fingers crossed,

B33K33P3R.

Hopefully positive plans.
we have moved into a new shed, racking is up, Thornes stock is arriving slowly.
for our own enterprise, just taken on an apprentice, 120 14x12 paradise poly are on order, most colonies will be double brooded on rape then split, evened up & new queen introduced, 100 ordered for July.
found out yesterday lost 400 acre of Linseed, but gained 300 of Beans which should still give us something in-between rape & heather.
Not sure what to do with the commercials yet, may just have them on one estate to make inspections easier.
If all goes to plan I will be shocked.
They sound more than positive and you have help now which is always a bonus.
Let's hope for some fair weather and lots of luck.

Fun fun fun ..... this probably won't work, but heh .....
You can only try it good luck, one of the best things in beekeeping is trying different things out.
I love the colours by the way a beek after my own heart.
Saying that SWMBO is making me paint all new boxes the same colour Green as she says that to many people can see them.
Im not going to get away with bright colours this season even at the out apiarys as she will be helping with inspections :rolleyes:(n)

Fun fun fun ..... this probably won't work, but heh .....
It does they love that arrangement but it can get very tall. I had a stack of six boxes before I dropped them down into three nationals. If I do it again I'll site them next to a post so they can be strapped for support.

It's very hard think positively when all there is to hear is negative.

I'm overwintering 20 colonies, and I want to do Bailey comb change on all of them, or most of them. And I want to be organised enough to maintain my colonies with demaree and snelgrove methods. I tried it on 3 colonies last year and found it to be very successful. Another thing I'm going try more of is 3 frame queen rearing. I've done this by making floor with 3 entrences and dividing brood box in 3 parts with extended dummy board. Tried last season with 1 box, got 3 colonies by the end of season.

I wanted to ask you is there any studies on the success/survival rates on 3 frame versus 4 or 5 frame queen rearing? Thanks.

Also I hope to hear about how your overwintering turns out, and hope for your success.

Latest posts

Back