Positive beekeeping plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see there’s benefits from doing a Bailey comb change IF you find nosema spores in spring.
I can't
If there's spores in the spring they can handle it, if you find spores in the autumn - just feed them some thymol, job sorted

I plan to wait for the Geese to moult, so I can take a feather, make a quill, and then write to my local association and tell them how I think they are stuck in the past, with their comic sans newsletter, and committee answering emails once a month.

But, we also have big pans to go more commercial this year. Will it work? I'm not to sure. I have the gear, and an idea, just hope the weather gods are my friends.

I plan to wait for the Geese to moult, so I can take a feather, make a quill, and then write to my local association and tell them how I think they are stuck in the past, with their comic sans newsletter
What’s wrong with comic sans?
Is it not a fashionable font any more ?

What’s wrong with comic sans?
Is it not a fashionable font any more ?
Has it ever been?
I have a colleague who insists on using it, even though we've had an edict from Westminster saying that being caught hanging naked from the statue of Churchill is a lesser offence

I plan to wait for the Geese to moult, so I can take a feather, make a quill, and then write to my local association and tell them how I think they are stuck in the past, with their comic sans newsletter, and committee answering emails once a month.

But, we also have big pans to go more commercial this year. Will it work? I'm not to sure. I have the gear, and an idea, just hope the weather gods are my friends.
Congratulations on being elected as the new secretary! If you do not accept,you should stop complaining.

Has it ever been?
I have a colleague who insists on using it, even though we've had an edict from Westminster saying that being caught hanging naked from the statue of Churchill is a lesser offence
I have discovered it's not even an option here on the forum. I quite like this one

I have discovered it's not even an option here on the forum. I quite like this one
The forum fonts are a bit limited but there are at least a few - some forums you only get courier and that's your lot ... and frankly when you see people using fonts like IMPACT ... we could probably do without them.

I can't
If there's spores in the spring they can handle it, if you find spores in the autumn - just feed them some thymol, job sorted
Did you see Prof Pickards lecture on human and bee nutrition with Cardiff beekeepers? Now on WBKA website.
Welsh Beekeepers' Association – A national support organisation for beekeepers' in Wales.
Talks about nosema about 47.30 mins through.
Spores penetrate the epithelial lining of the ventriculus, so they can’t digest pollen and shortens the life of foragers who die away from the nest. Especially important to do something if the colony is weak. Not visible to the beekeeper so that’s why many don’t realise or test. One accidentally squashed bee spreads millions of spores, cleaned up by nurse bees feeding. Agree that thymol helps in the autumn but prefer to sort any colonies with issues in the spring.

Did you see Prof Pickards lecture on human and bee nutrition with Cardiff beekeepers? Now on WBKA website.
Welsh Beekeepers' Association – A national support organisation for beekeepers' in Wales.
Talks about nosema about 47.30 mins through.
Spores penetrate the epithelial lining of the ventriculus, so they can’t digest pollen and shortens the life of foragers who die away from the nest. Especially important to do something if the colony is weak. Not visible to the beekeeper so that’s why many don’t realise or test. One accidentally squashed bee spreads millions of spores, cleaned up by nurse bees feeding. Agree that thymol helps in the autumn but prefer to sort any colonies with issues in the spring.
as much as I like and respect Robert Pickard, he is a neurologist not a bacteriologist. Did he tell you to Bailey change your colonies relentlessly in his talk?
I prefer also to treat my bees sensibly not put every barrier possible in the way for them to develop and thrive without constant, unneeded effort

Just starting out this year. And now with the generous offer of some local mentoring & help from curly, I'm much happier.
Starting with no expectations, other than to enjoy it, I know I'll make some howlers, hopefully none too harmful, and I'm sure I'll learn from them as you should do from painful mistakes.
So grateful for the forum, both for the information, and the introduction to Curly, so supported it to assist it to continue, learnt so much, forgotten lots more, though I'm sure it'll come back when the moment is right.
Mark

Latest posts

Back