Positioning of Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daj198

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi everyone

I'm getting a nuc on wednesday but have had second thoughts on where to place the hive. I was going to put it on our flat roof as it would get morning sun and be out of the way. But the flat roof is at the front of the house and so neighbours would see me inspecting the hive. I'm concerned that then, if they got stung they would blame me. Secondly, if I needed to move the hive for some reason, it would be difficult to get it down a ladder!

If I put it in the garden, it would not be ideal as we have a lot of trees so it's very shady and a friend of ours had to get rid of her bees as they attacked her husband when he was gardening and he had an anaphylactic reaction. Surely, if I put them in the garden, we could have the same issue (not that we do much gardening!).

Thanks,
Dom

Hi Dom,

I tried keeping hives in my garden and all was fine until swarm season. Even though I tried to prevent it they still swarmed.

Neighbours were fine about it until they started being affected by swarms and getting stung. Not suprising really - it will happen.

I had to move them to a farm a couple of miles away.
I'm much happier and so are the neighbours.

Suggest you think about somewhere away from neighbours - it will save you a lot of grief.

John

Ladders and beehives don't make any sense to me. A disaster waiting to happen.

You'll probably damage the flat roof anyway! Those nice sharp stones under your feet cutting through the waterproof felt as you walk about.

Garden is fine; if too shady, can you trim some branches?

Clip the queens wing and you won't lose a swarm. (Get an experienced beek or your nuc supplier to do it for you). The bees will fly and come back to the hive. Queen falls to the floor. Swarms are not agressive - generally. You should be able to stand behind a hive and they won't bother you, they shouldn't be agressive. They might fly into you if you are in their flight path but that's your fault, not theirs!

Garden's are fine if the site is well thought out. If you have trees can you trim them so rain doesn't drip on the hive roof? A little protection is good and some shade as well as sun is also good. Can you face the hive entrance towards hedges or fences so that the bees have to have a high flight path when coming in and out? Never garden without a shirt, and do not get too close to the hive when perspiring as they are attracted to the smell! I wander up and down to my greenhouse which is about five metres from my hives without problems.

Thanks everyone... I think I'll get pruning! Plus, I'll contact the woman I'm getting the nuc from to see if she can clip the queen.

Back