Position of hives in an apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
:willy_nilly: How do you position the entrances to hives to prevent drift of bees? I know entrances are not supposed to be in line with each other yet I have seen many pictures of apiaries set out in straight lines or blocks. Many apiaries seem to use a method of placing four hives on a standard, square shaped, pallet - there being many of these pallets set in rows or blocks. This seems to apply particularly to American set-ups. Is this just an American peculiarity, where they don't worry about swarms or drift? The reason I ask is I have a paved base approximately 12ft x 9ft (set in a clearing in a willow field) with two hives on it. I would like to know the best arrangement for positioning the maximum number of hives on it - how many can it accommodate?bee-smillie

:willy_nilly: How do you position the entrances to hives to prevent drift of bees? I know entrances are not supposed to be in line with each other yet I have seen many pictures of apiaries set out in straight lines or blocks. Many apiaries seem to use a method of placing four hives on a standard, square shaped, pallet - there being many of these pallets set in rows or blocks. This seems to apply particularly to American set-ups. Is this just an American peculiarity, where they don't worry about swarms or drift? The reason I ask is I have a paved base approximately 12ft x 9ft (set in a clearing in a willow field) with two hives on it. I would like to know the best arrangement for positioning the maximum number of hives on it - how many can it accommodate?bee-smillie

try them at 90 degrees if you must, but otherwise put a different colour symbol abve the entrance, yellow star, green circle etc, but not red

you can put 4 on a pallot each facing diffent directions but diffuclt to manipulate, or back to back with a maniplation alley between, just dont have them all around the edge facing in, it will be death valley for beekeepers

i have seen blocks of three. 0 dregree, 90 degree and 180 degree ,you could have these across thr 9ft way and another row backing on but with a manipulation alley between ....mine are 3ft from and facing a 6ft wall,

Last edited:
They used to orientate them N, E, S and W at Buckfast.....which seemed to work.

I would like to know the best arrangement for positioning the maximum number of hives on it - how many can it accommodate?

Is that one from this year's GCSE Maths paper?

Not got my slide rule on me, but you can stick as many hives on it as you like. However, there is something called common sense, and you have to be able to work the hives as well.

In my view, the most random, disorganised pattern is the easiest for the bees to navigate rather than regimented rows. There is no reson why you can't have 4-6 hives on your patch.

You can have one nat on the other with the openings facing opposite ways too although inspection gets a pain. (A good way of hiding the number of colonies you have from the wife!)

Is that one from this year's GCSE Maths paper?

Not got my slide rule on me, but you can stick as many hives on it as you like. However, there is something called common sense, and you have to be able to work the hives as well.

It was an academic question - I have a good bee mentor to advise me but I am keen to learn about the different aproaches and methods employed by different beekepers and the reasoning/practicalities behind them. But thanks to all those who offered constructive support

Latest posts

Back