Position of addional super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I have been adding empty supers on top of full ones, is this right or should I put new supers directly above the brood box?

The new super goes under the existing one(s) - ie directly above the brood box.

If you want new foundation drawn, next to the brood box..

I would think that having fully capped supers at the bottom of the stack means more distance for the bees to reach the one being filled. Probably not much of a difference, I don't know...

I have been adding empty supers on top of full ones, is this right or should I put new supers directly above the brood box?

In real terms, as others say it doesn't really matter, but time and efficiency suggest under (one or two less supers for the bees to have hoick the honey through as they fill them up)....and perhaps better under (and on top of the queen excluder) if the super is undrawn foundation (more warmth near the brood).
Well bee trodden foundation cappings don't look very clean.

Early in the osr season put the supers on top, with only comparatively few bees and a cold night. The bees in the super will withdraw downwards leaving any early osr honey to granulate. Later on as now, with crops less likely to granulate/warmer nights/more bees etc, then under supering is of benefit especially if you have foundation in the middle of the super.

Latest posts

Back