Porter Bee Escape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Do you use them.

If so why?

Are you aware of the better alternates?

Tempted to ask if not why...lol

PH

First year, used them and to my amazement worked perfectly, just a couple of stragglers made it into the kitchen in the supers.

i've had no issues either, as long as they are set up correctly:.)

Use them all the time !
Seen loads of alternative methods ,save for a couple they fade away over time leaving the trusty porter escapes to do their job LOL

John Wilkinson

They worked brill for me. Meant I didn't have to anger the girls by scraping or smoking them off the super frames. Slipped away easily with the empty supers.

Would like to know what your "better alternatives" are though.

Ben P

I've used porters this year, my first, I also have cone escapes on the gabled national roofs. The two seem to work very well.

Ian

And MUST be kept clean- or you lock bees out too! The little darlings do love to propolise them.
But to clear a super - Rhombus much better-

I use the Canadian type clearer board, very quick, but must not be left on for more than one day.
Regards
John

Sorry I think they are a disaster of a piece of kit and stopped using them in my 3d year when I met the non moving part hive clearing board.

I am off to take some bee pics shortly so will take one of mine which is a rhombus but modded by me to work better. :)

One drone in a super can block a porter. Not so for mine.

PH

Personally, I don't use them. My very first hive came with 2 pre-installed... and fully propolised! Tried them for a couple of years and then discovered the non-moving-parts alternatives, such as Canadian clearers, and have not looked back.

Successfully used them this year as I hadnt had time for my other half to make up rhombus clearer boards, which I plan to use next year.

My clearer board:

One bought plastic part cut in two.

Alternately you could use strips of wood and a square of ply with some holes in it for the scent to get up, and a gap of 8mm.

PH

I've used "Porters" for 30 years, I still have the original tin ones I got with my first hive.

HOWEVER I am gradually changing to your system PH with a piece of tin that swings over the hole and makes the board into a solid crown board when it is inverted

I've used the porters for 4 years,two per crown board and super is cleared within 24 hrs.
I've put them 8am and removed super by early evening.usally only a few bees remain.

porter escapes

Always work well for me with super clearance in a day. Always use crown-boards with double escape facilities and cone escapes in the relevant roof.

I'm a big fan. Their no good for osr honey ( too slow to clear )but excellent for clearing summer honey as there's no need to go back in any specified time ( e.g. distant out apiaries) assuming all your supers and roofs are bee tight

Back