Poor bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you think you are the only era that could survive such weather.. i bow to your superiority :laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004.

I can't any more ... been acclimatised down here in the balmy southern south since 1967 so I'm locally adjusted ... when I first came down I was swimming in the sea in November ... just like Bridlington in August - couldn't understand what was wrong with the rest of them sitting huddled behind windbreaks ... clearly never felt the breeze from Norway whipping gently across the cloud soaked skies of Skegness ...

In 1963 we had to tunnel through the snow to get to school ... there were no polythene or plastics in those days - so we had to contend with chapped legs and fiery jack .. we had folded newspaper under our hand knitted balaclavas to keep warm ... nothing moved on the roads - even the electric trams could not get through ... Joe Brindley delivered some fruit and veg with his horse and dray and even the loose vinegar he sold from a barrel had frozen solid.

You've never had it so good ...

Aye, those were the days Obidiah! You tell that to kids today and they won't believe yer.

Aye, those were the days Obidiah! You tell that to kids today and they won't believe yer.

My kids think I'm a time traveller from the 1800's not a post war baby boomer ... the reality is that post WW2 Yorkshire was a long time catching up with the changes ... my childhood memories are closer to the expereriences of those born in the 1930's & 40's than those born in the later 1950's

I think a lot of industrial/intense commerce based communities (the East End of London, South Wales and the North West) suffered immensely from a lack of development and infrastructure development in those days - Harold MacMillan's 'You've never had it so good' had a very hollow ring in some communities ...

My kids think I'm a time traveller from the 1800's not a post war baby boomer ... the reality is that post WW2 Yorkshire was a long time catching up with the changes ... my childhood memories are closer to the expereriences of those born in the 1930's & 40's than those born in the later 1950's

I think a lot of industrial/intense commerce based communities (the East End of London, South Wales and the North West) suffered immensely from a lack of development and infrastructure development in those days - Harold MacMillan's 'You've never had it so good' had a very hollow ring in some communities ...

Sinkers' Row in Treharris, basically terraced, wooden sheds with painted hessian ceilings, constructed in 1880's when Deep Navigation was being sunk. It was mid 1950's when they were finally removed.
Some communities were simply there to provide the wealth for others to squander.

And yet the bees just got on with it and are still here today

And yet the bees just got on with it and are still here today

Yes

The whingeing Poms above don't really know what bad weather was in 1963.. 3-4 meter snowdrifts outside our back door in 1963..the coal store lay across the road so my dad had to dig through it before we could light a fire..

You knew it was a warm day that winter when there was no ice on the inside of the windows.. As for 1959-60...

Youngsters.. no idea of how good they had it...:paparazzi:

Yes

The whingeing Poms above don't really know what bad weather was in 1963.. 3-4 meter snowdrifts outside our back door in 1963..the coal store lay across the road so my dad had to dig through it before we could light a fire..

You knew it was a warm day that winter when there was no ice on the inside of the windows.. As for 1959-60...

There was 10ft snow drifts in Northumberland a fortnight ago, the snow plough on the front of a big tractor destroyed several cars that where buried in deep snow on the roads (just as well no body was in them) , also elsewhere in Northumberland a farmer lost hundreds of sheep and lambs that where buried in the snow lets hope that is the end of it for this year.

Yep, my black bees have also dwindled to a couple of frames and will take until around June to be sufficiently large a colony to start a surplus. Buckfast are nearly filling brood boxes and ready for the off, thankfully a large enough cluster to maintain the colony during this brief cold spell.
S

Strange isn't it?
I have a queen going into her fourth season and her colony usually covers about three or four combs very early in Spring.
By June they are demarreed, bees galore and a very healthy surplus (no OSR here) They refuse syrup and fondant, they do very well.
Strange.

Yes

But how did your Musk Oxen fare?

- so we had to contend with chapped legs and fiery jack .. we had folded newspaper under our hand knitted balaclavas to keep warm ... nothing moved on the roads -

You've never had it so good ...

I would DREAM of having just chapped legs. We lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road......

I would DREAM of having just chapped legs. We lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road......

Eee.... Kids of today ... they would never believe you ...shoe box ... you were lucky ... we lived in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank until we were evicted !

Probably one of the best Monty Python sketches ever ....

Probably one of the best Monty Python sketches ever ....
It predates Monty Python.
Was 1st performed in 1967 British television comedy series "At Last the 1948 Show" with Marty Feldman, Tim Brooke Tayler, John Cleese and Graham Chapman. Only two pythonites involved.....but it was "nicked" and often performed by Monty Python in their live shows.

It predates Monty Python.
Was 1st performed in 1967 British television comedy series "At Last the 1948 Show" with Marty Feldman, Tim Brooke Tayler, John Cleese and Graham Chapman. Only two pythonites involved.....but it was "nicked" and often performed by Monty Python in their live shows.

ACTUALLY ... it was originally nicked by Marty Feldman when he was sat in the Futlocks Inn in Goldthorpe on a cold February night in 1963, stranded on his way to Sheffield after a gig at Batley Variety, when he overheard Arthur Birtwhistle, Fred Holmroyd and Willy Catchatroll talking about their childhood in Mexborough ...

It's still one of the best Monty Python sketches ...

Well ... I had you down as having no sense of humour and I wasn't disappointed ...
You are the Hardest man on the forum so i am not surprised you are dissapointed, you single handedly survived a cold moth in 63 all by your self and then you repopulated the whole country with your genes.. What a man..:rolleyes:

1963, I was out on the sea ice fishing for cod with my father. We took the car, because the ice was so thick. Usually we would ski though. Then I am a real Viking.

You are the Hardest man on the forum so i am not surprised you are dissapointed, you single handedly survived a cold moth in 63 all by your self and then you repopulated the whole country with your genes.. What a man..:rolleyes:

You probably need to stop drinking now .... you appear, tonight, to be as unintelligble as our Finnish contingent ...and in any case - Who pulled your chain ? I'm quite sure Beefriendly is quite capable of flushing his own toilet ...

You probably need to stop drinking now .... you appear, tonight, to be as unintelligble as our Finnish contingent ...and in any case - Who pulled your chain ? I'm quite sure Beefriendly is quite capable of flushing his own toilet ...

3 personal attacks trials in one sentence.

..... Stay!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back