Polystyrene Summer / Breeding Nuc box for ?3.42

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Like last year I plan to build up a few nucs for sale, but I need a few more nuc or hives for my temporary expansion prior to sales.

Last year people that bought from me ended up making a couple of trips, first to inspect the nuc and transfer to their nuc/hive, and second (after hive was sealed up on the evening) to collect.

I have considered the Correx http://www.easybeeproducts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=62&osCsid=7300d078843bd10bd230ba551e273ff0type boxes, but I like to make my own things.

SO on finding these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....go=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4

And with them only just around the corner I popped round and bought 4 today.

30 mins later I now have 4 summer/breeding / sale/transport nucs.

If they just last this session for the sale of 4 nucs they will be more than good value. The only worked needed was an entrance and I added duct tape to all corners to strengthen.

They take 9 frames, but I do not see that as a problem and there is no crown board.

These can now be incuded in the cost of the nuc sale, which is basicly nothing. So the customer can take away in one go.
DSCN0611.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a local petshop that sells tropical fish ?

My local shop gets about 4 deliveries a week of 3 boxes using the same sort of poly box.

The fish come in poly bags inside them.

No, but I belive fish / Fish and chip shops might have them.

I will investgate free sources, but you cant grumble (all though I am sure some people would) at just over ?3.

Maybe I should turn them into this seasons must have hive!!! Well given Thornes have just added YET ANOTHER hive type I might as well add my fish box one:svengo::cheers2:

At least mine takes standard National frames:cheers2:

Sorry Jim I only just noticed its for 4 boxes.

I may even buy some myself at that price.

Glad you sorted the problem you had last year with the Nuc sale collected dilemma.

If I remember correct you had some very good feedback.
I did point a few members up north your way who wanted Nucs and am happy to do so again if last years bees are anything to go by.

Thanks Admin.

Yes I will be listing on this forum nucs for sale in a couple of months time.

I must point out that these are "native" and the queens are breed from my own stocks, I do not just buy a queen and stick it in a box with some bees dumped in.

I awoke in the early hours, and realised that I have missed of ventilation holes!

These will be fitted with some fine mesh covering.

Glad I am not the only one who does that.
I often have to scrible stuff down at 4am.

Precautions against nibbling will be required as bees love to chew low density (expanded) polystyrene :(.
John

Hi Jim

A quick question:

How have you formed the rebate or does the box come like that.

Regards Ian

Hi Jim

A quick question:

How have you formed the rebate or does the box come like that.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

The frame lenght just fits inside the box, the rebate was created by adding a filler strip stuck on the inside of the box to increase the wall thickness.

Precautions against nibbling will be required as bees love to chew low density (expanded) polystyrene :(.
John

Like I said if they last the summer, through to a sale and safe transport home, what more can you ask for the price paid?

Pete I do not understand what you are susgesting? I know what a nuc should look like I have several of them made of wood.

These polystyrene do not replace normal nucs, their use is simply for summer breeding and moving for a purchase.

Latest posts

Back