Polystyrene sheets for insulation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I was given some 25mm plain polystyrene sheets, and was hoping to use 2 sheets of these as winter insulation instead of the celotex or Kingspan 50mm stuff. Would they be suitable?

50mm of standard PIR (Kingspan or Celotex) would be very roughly the equivalent of about 75mm of good quality expanded polystyrene.

50mm of good quality expanded polystyrene would be very roughly the equivalent of about 35mm of standard PIR (Kingspan or Celotex) .

I was given some 25mm plain polystyrene sheets, and was hoping to use 2 sheets of these as winter insulation instead of the celotex or Kingspan 50mm stuff. Would they be suitable?

I strap two together using gaffer tape and paint them with either emulsion or stone paint to reduce the number of bits falling off.

50mm of standard PIR (Kingspan or Celotex) would be very roughly the equivalent of about 75mm of good quality expanded polystyrene.

50mm of good quality expanded polystyrene would be very roughly the equivalent of about 35mm of standard PIR (Kingspan or Celotex) .

So, 75mm (3x25mm sheets) of polystyrene would be approx 52-53mm of kingspan/celotex? And should do the trick?

So, 75mm (3x25mm sheets) of polystyrene would be approx 52-53mm of kingspan/celotex? And should do the trick?

All rough figures and expanded polystyrene varies in quality and thermal properties, but I would imagine the bees will just be happy to be warmer. Go for it.

If you are using poly hives throw the sheets in the recycling bin. It's not needed.

Latest posts

Back