Polystyrene? Nah Polypropylene!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
One hive threw a cast yesterday (left two queen cells after they swarmed).

They sat on a fence post all day, got rained on a couple of times and having seen the nights weather forecast was really orrible I took emergency action.

So..... as I'd run out of kit.... who needs Polystyrene hives when a Polypropylene one is much tougher and only a couple of quid from the DIY? (yes most of them are in the bucket - t'was a large cast)

bucketofbees.jpg

PS - I've a newbee bringing his shiny new hive over this PM for the original swarm so with some reorganisation the bucket-of-bees will get properly hived and in two or three weeks when I know who's got laying queens do some combining.

I was warned that year 2 is errr.... interesting!

Compost bins are commonly used as a suitable 'hive' for errant swarms. Some even in Steel drums and upturned JCB buckets, etc.

Good improvisation, though. Better in a box rather than a bucket as they could just depart for another home before the new hive arrives. Good luck.

I was warned that year 2 is errr.... interesting!

:iagree:

It certainly either gives you lots of swarm expertise - or no bees at all..:_)

(Says he going from 2 hives to 6 last year due to swarms)

ruffle;232909 I was warned that year 2 is errr.... interesting![/QUOTE said:
And year 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 and so on.

When it isn't interesting I will quit.
Cazza

Pretty windy round your way? Substantial masonry.:)

Can't say I've seen a bucket used before, the usual practical reason given for preferring a skep is that it's an internal surface the bees can cling too more easily. But buckets are cheap, robust, waterproof, readily available and even have a handle if you're using a ladder or hanging them from a pole. Is it worth extending the idea - maybe lining with corrugated card?

I'm not planning on the bucket being a permanent home :) It was purely used to keep them dry during the gale last night (and yes a box might have been better but it wouldn't have survived overnight).

40 mins time and they're getting moved (assuming they've not done a runner; just had a look and there's no bees on the outside and only a few coming and going under the lip; but I'm not investigating further without being suited up - got three pings through the nitrile gloves getting the little darlings in the bucket in the first place!).

and yes a box might have been better but it wouldn't have survived overnight).

I was, of course, only referring to losing them this am; weren't going anywhere during the night!

RAB

Oh Poo - Yes RAB, I should have understood what you were saying.

I now have an empty bucket :(

Ho Hum. At least I helped them survive the gale last night.

Hope they do well wherever they've ended up.

Latest posts

Back