Polystyrene medium size body hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
Hi to all.

We are considering buying Polystyrene hives for next season.

We think the medium bodied Langstroth would be a good idea - getting older is one consideration as is ill-health.

Does anybody have any thoughts about the idea.

Does anyone use Langstroth medium bodies.

Thanks in anticipation

I purchased my first Langstroth Medium bodied Poly hive last month ready for next year. Will probably buy another two soon to trial in earnest. The main thing is that they are not that same as using wooden hives (bloody obvious statement that, but...) and my conclusion to the "which is best, better" debate that goes along with this hobby is:

Just buy one, try it, see if it suits (you, your location, your method of operation, your bees etc etc) and see if it works for you.

I bought as a package a floor, 2 medium, 10 litre rapid feeder, roof and shook swarmed a large colony into it at the start of August and fed them like crazy to help them build up on the all new wax coated plastic frames. Took them a little while to start drawing out the frames but once they started they built up very quickly and took close to 20 litres down over a month and more afterwards.

Still to early to say to much but I like the size of frames and the hive itself is very good and solid. Only one down side found so far is when rebuilding the hive as its easy to crush bees if your not careful as the walls are much thicker but its easy to deal with using a brush or my hand.

Before next year I will buy full brood chambers and keep the mediums as supers.

The National in polystyrene may be an alternative. I intend trying the 14 x 12 version from MBS, in your region, as soon as it is available.

Depends on the weight of the particular components when full.

I just happen to like to run 14 x 12s so there will be little change for me except lighter bodies and fewr frames as well, so overall much lighter.

I already have a couple of jumbo lang stroth nucs converted for 14 x 12 frames, and they seem to be going along OK. Two more in the pipeline, so I must be impressed as I am a fussy b****r when it comes to choosing equipment!

Regards, RAB

Would you live in a Polysterene House?

Don't your clothes smell great when they come out of a Cedar Drawer:)

Welcome to the forum Antena, and yes.
Your sort of local to me and a few others just over the dyke and head south a little.

Welcome Athena, enjoy the forum - and yes, clothes do smell lovely from a cedar chest...but poly has many good points too...including price! :)

The "normal" poly Langstroth is a very good hive. I have no experience with the deep version but in my time ran some 40 odd of the normal type.

The bees will fill the box with brood from side to side, there seems less pollen storage as it is not required for insulation.

I keep meaning to write a post on the management of poly but never seem to get round to it.

PH

Looking forward to reading what ever you have to say PH.
:cheers2:

Just ordered 6x Poly hives, due in next week. I can then prepare them over winter, and sell my WBCs in spring.

I am also about to try out a couple of the French Nicotplast hives early next year.

I'm actually wondering what PH will find to write about the management of Poly boxes?

Paint the external surfaces with an emulsion paint to make the boxes look nice and protect from scuffing and UV degradation.

The shallow supers are not as strong as the brood boxes and are less forgiving of accidents where a box full of honey lands on a corner. Sweinty sell a repair kit, but polyurethane woodworking adhesive does the job nicely if ever needed.

Other than that, they just work and sometimes the girls glue the lids on real tight. :party:

I'm actually wondering what PH will find to write about the management of Poly boxes?

Paint the external surfaces with an emulsion paint to make the boxes look nice and protect from scuffing and UV degradation.

The shallow supers are not as strong as the brood boxes and are less forgiving of accidents where a box full of honey lands on a corner. Sweinty sell a repair kit, but polyurethane woodworking adhesive does the job nicely if ever needed.

Other than that, they just work and sometimes the girls glue the lids on real tight. :party:

The poly is also strong enough to put a couple of decent length screws in to give the broken part a bit more strength when you glue it.

Without wanting to preempt his post
Aim for a book deal but settle for an Admin sticky :smilielol5:

Possible suggestions to put in

queen laying in outer frames
how to deal with propolis between hive parts
Splitting a colony using a divider
cleaning a poly hive as searing is not an option
slightly off topic but frame management to maximise colony build up
Advantages through out the year spring - winter compared to wooden hives
and of course tag on his Thymol recipe and instructions on how to prepare and when to use.

I wonder ?
:toetap05: <- PH after reading this ?
:)

Well I've nearly finished Warre hives, they smell of cedar, & I just know the bees will like it,

So yes I think my bees will have an unstressed life next year...........
No sugar will be added, just like this year,

Happy Bees
Happy Honey
Happy Me too.........

Good luck with them and how are you planning on treating for diseases?

Now can we get this thread back to poly which is where it began after all.

PH

I am in the process of changing over to Poly Langstroth hives. My first hive was a jumbo with medium bodies for the supers. But after doing some more reading, I have decided to use just medium bodies for the brood and honey supers. The point of having just medium bodies is that it adds flexibility and is a OSB system, using standard components, that are not too deep or too shallow.

I suggest you have a word with C Broad. OSB is good and flexible, but not something you really want to be doing single handed. The weights in those boxes can be a bit crippling and you can of course be waiting around for the bees to fill up a box.

it does allow you to expand readily by buying in shallow supers and frames. For what the experience is worth.

Latest posts

Back