Polystyrene Hives - from £43.05 plus VAT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At that price I would be interested to poke my thumb nail against it.

PH

The specs speak for themselves !!

John Wilkionson

The hives we will be offering are made from high density expanded polystyrene (100 kg/m3) with very smooth and hard surfaces.

Victor are you saying that the above density isnt enough?

Poly what density are the ones you bought?

EPS can range from 25 kg/m³ to 200 kg/m³ depending on how much gas was admixed to create the foam.

As an example surf boards are made from 200 Kg/m3.

Most packing boxes are 30 - 50 kg/m3

The hives we will be offering are made from high density expanded polystyrene (100 kg/m3) with very smooth and hard surfaces.

Victor are you saying that the above density isnt enough?

Poly what density are the ones you bought?
No I'm saying (in response to Polys' quote on tactile investigation) , that the spec points to high grade density :).

John Wilkinson

At that price i think its worth a trial.

Can you hang on grizzly until I get the spec through?

If they are good to go then if you are already in Langstroth then it's a no brainer.

PH

It was just a thought, my wallet is empty at the moment...

Your verdict on this will influence my action PH.

My verdict? LOL

I just tweaked Mr Rose's nose on tother site, miserable so and so, he always plays the same tune.

PH

I think that website belongs to John Laidler of Devon beekeepers,I cant see him selling rubbish.

I rang the man selling the Finnish poly hives. Nice and helpful. They aren't doing jumbos and I am not sure whether what they are selling will fit with wooden kit or not. The polys I have now do interchange with the wooden Langstroth, which is perfect.

half of my polyhives are from paradise honey.
The owner is the biggest beekeeper in scandinavia, over 2000 hives.
Hives surely works.

Wow, 2000 hives! Right now two hives is keeping me busy :)

While we are talking about poly-hives, how do you clean them if you are unfortunate enough to have EFB or AFB. A bee inspector normally cleans a wooden brood box with a blow torch for EFB and burns the hive for AFB. Obviously this is not a good idea for poly-hives, so can you recycle them by using a disinfectant? Or does the infected brood box need to go to land fill?

Thanks for the link Poly Hive, it looks like the disinfectant is quite versatile too. I do not think they would burn the brood box, due to air pollution. Sending the box of to be melted down sounds the best approach to me.

Back