Polystyrene hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizard165

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Can anyone give me the name of the polish poly hive manufacturer? Done a search with no luck. I came across Weald Place who were doing poly nucs @ £25 and nationals @ £132 + £8 delivery. Was going to try a couple of nucs but they have now jumped to £30 + Delivery and then when you try and pay they put another £14 on top.
Everything done online and the guy on the phone just sayes try again in a couple of days and the price has gone up because he now charges VAT!
Someone just remindered me about the polish company but for the life of me I cant find contact details.
Cheers

If in doubt buy from Swienty.

Just to keep a balanced view:

There is also M8dern Beekeeping to buy from, also.

Not Polish, but good quality Finnish probuct.

RAB

WPF are aware of the P&P problem (and were supposed to be sorting it).

if you purchase and then email the guy he refunds the excess by return.

It's just the extra hassle it involves, ordering at the wrong price and then trying to sort a refund + it's more work for the poor guy at WPF. I imagine he is under enough stress trying to sort out his new VAT status & website!

With no disrespect to Modern or to the Finnish manufacturer but I have a concern over the rebated system involved.

There was a national hive made by Steele and Brodie for heather work and it was a devil for being propolised together. That company is no longer with us for other reasons.

Maybe Modern can comment on the cross over between the poly brood box and wooden supers?

The only supplier of National in poly that I am aware of, and I am by no means a lister of companies, is Swienty.

PH

The only supplier of National in poly that I am aware of

You are very correct with your wording however you must be aware that P*radise Farm are introducing poly Nationals in the very near future (see their newsletter?).

Meanwhile to 'double' your awareness here is another 'link' to a National supplier in poly.

beehivesuppliesdotcodotuk/

This will need some mods to convert to a URL - the www. needs adding and the dots changing to dots.

The down side here might be the outside dimensions, which are certainly not to the Bristish Standard specifications. Can't have perfection in all departments, always compromise, compromise, but I suspect (and intend to try one) the ten-frame MB format is likely a good match to a wooden National.

RAB

I was not aware Oliver, thanks for that.

If someone is producing a non standard National are they not rather missing the point I muse to myself, amused.

Is there not enough confusion in the UK already with out yet more?

PH

producing a non standard National

As I said it's all compromises. I would dare to say the swienties are not exactly to all the BS National dimensions (like 3/4 inch thick walls?, 11 BS frames, 18 iches square, etc, etc.)

I have been looking for a good 'poly' compromise for my particular circumstance and the MB offering/system appears as though it may be an 'ideal' compromise (how about that for an oxymoron? - but nevertheless 'ideal' for me).

Regards, RAB

I can't find nationals on S****y dot com website.
Can you advise me where to look?

Thanks
Peter

I recently contact swienty about national polyhives as I want to buy some more.

They replied
"We only sell National Hives on the UK Market.

Our supplier will not order the minimum amount to start a new production, that is why we cannot offer them.

We do not have another supplier in the UK, that is interested in this larger amount.

So I am afraid we cannot sell them to you for the moment until we find a solution.

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüssen"

The minimum order required is 700 and the UK supplier is unable to order this number (I spoke to them).

If any one has an alternative way of solving this I loved to know as I'd really like to keep using this hive but we seem to be in a catch 22 situation - no stock no orders : no orders no stock!

Hmm.. looks as if Denrosa has lost interest then, and the chap in Wales is not up for a bulk order either.

If I had the capital I would for sure but mine is tied up here in this business.

Catch 22 indeed.

PH

Latest posts

Back