Polystyrene for hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Can anyone tell me if the polystyrene used for hives and mini mating nucs is the same as the packing sheets available on eBay and Amazon
Like this? EXPANDED POLYSTYRENE FOAM PACKING SHEETS *ALL SIZES* | eBay

The reason I ask is I'm thinking I could use this to make up extra brood boxes for mini mating nucs which could be handy.

I've seen that apidea do an extra brood box for their nucs but it's quite expensive compared to the price of the generic mating nucs on sale so I thought getting some 25mm thick sheet and making up some myself could be cheaper.

No it’s not the same poly hives are higher density, you can get higher grade but think you’ll need to look around. Mini Nucs can be made from just about anything though. Seal it or line with thin ply all things are possible.

No it’s not the same poly hives are higher density, you can get higher grade but think you’ll need to look around. Mini Nucs can be made from just about anything though. Seal it or line with thin ply all things are possible.

That's an idea. Hadn't thought of using ply lined with poly.

bees chew through low density poly and PIR rapidly. Honey bees have well developed tunneling behaviors, which beekeeeprs use in the newspaper method of combination. Alas only experimenters in foam hives know much about this little known aspect of bees.

That's an idea. Hadn't thought of using ply lined with poly.
No ... I've done it the other way to make a nuc .. thin plywood liner with Celotex insulation on the outside. Dead easy to make with the celotex joints made with bamboo skewers and instant grab adhesive. Make the outside first and then stick the plywood to the inside of the celotex outer 'box'.

The cut edges need to be covered with aluminium tape and the whole thing painted outside. You can make landings for the frame lugs by doubling the thickness of the insulation on the front and back walls.

I've got some photos somewhere ... I'll look them out - but it's an easy build - just get the interior size right and the bee space.

bees chew through low density poly and PIR rapidly. Honey bees have well developed tunneling behaviors, which beekeeeprs use in the newspaper method of combination. Alas only experimenters in foam hives know much about this little known aspect of bees.
If the bees don't eat into it ants will

If the bees don't eat into it ants will
Hence the aluminium tape .. bees and other insects will not eat into the foil surface of the PIR unless it gets damaged and covering the cut edges with aluminium tape protects them.

Can anyone tell me if the polystyrene used for hives and mini mating nucs is the same as the packing sheets available on eBay and Amazon
Like this? EXPANDED POLYSTYRENE FOAM PACKING SHEETS *ALL SIZES* | eBay

The reason I ask is I'm thinking I could use this to make up extra brood boxes for mini mating nucs which could be handy.

I've seen that apidea do an extra brood box for their nucs but it's quite expensive compared to the price of the generic mating nucs on sale so I thought getting some 25mm thick sheet and making up some myself could be cheaper.

I wouldn't do it, as many others here advise.....
I use this sheeting to place under my hives when boxes are placed on surfaces that tend to get hot... Tin/zinc roofs for example...
The bees chew through any exposed area... especially in front of entrance if piece is left extended under in front (If that makes sense)
Helps a lot with heat though...
See example below.. (I've often wondered what type/class polystyrene is used for bee boxes... and/if what coating is put on to prevent this.)

Attachments

• IMG-20201220-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20201220-WA0005.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 33
I have found - even using aluminium foiled insulation to make nucs(I have about 8 )- that if the bees get very crowded in summer,they WILL tunnel out around the floor to make more space. Easily repaired with filler and foil tape but a PIA. It is ,however , preferable to them swarming!

The great adantage of poly nucs amde like that is that they are simple to make and cheap, if time consuming. (Think under £10 each painted) Well Langs are.Nationals also with a little bit of thought.

I made my own nucs from blue high density building foam and seems to be fine, I have experimented with a couple,of them overwintering a couple of late splits. Going to modify a couple ro have open mesh floor .
0B3D7AA5-37CD-431E-8A02-8B9C09494DE1.jpegI D582EE38-DC49-43D7-950B-720FAA4072E4.jpeg635877C4-2885-4AB5-B88D-462D16ED4D93.jpegDAD16BBA-2603-4C5A-9963-EA981FCCE5BA.jpegB2966926-EE44-4B4B-89CD-D2770C2CA492.jpeg(

I have found - even using aluminium foiled insulation to make nucs(I have about 8 )- that if the bees get very crowded in summer,they WILL tunnel out around the floor to make more space. Easily repaired with filler and foil tape but a PIA. It is ,however , preferable to them swarming!

The great adantage of poly nucs amde like that is that they are simple to make and cheap, if time consuming. (Think under £10 each painted) Well Langs are.Nationals also with a little bit of thought.
Yes... that happened with an early one I made out of PIR ... one of the reasons I decided to line them with thin plywood ... they do take a bit of time to make but they work out at less than a tenner for a decent nuc (less if you can pick up salvaged materials).

Nice job with yours though ... I like the integral eke !

You need to cover the floor with foil tape or other bee proof stuff . This is because condensation lying on the floor softens the facings on most PIR so the bees dig in. Never had them go through walls as all joints are covered with ally tape.

I made my own nucs from blue high density building foam and seems to be fine, I have experimented with a couple,of them overwintering a couple of late splits. Going to modify a couple ro have open mesh floor .
View attachment 24403I View attachment 24404View attachment 24405View attachment 24406View attachment 24407(
mesh floors not a good idea on poly as you lose alot of the heat retention advantage. Use a separate floor for mite counting. Have it on only when you need to.

Latest posts

Back