Polyhive quality question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Is polyhive made out of EPS 110 foam alright? Thinking about getting some langstroths..

Lauri

If you mean 110 mm thick construction foam plastic, it is out of question.
Ant and bees bite it down.
And further more it is waste of time to do own polyhives.

The widht of commercial polyhive wall is around 30 mm

Last edited:
What language is it in? ah Estonian, and a Lang Brood is £13.

Swienty sell it at £15.3179.

For that price difference I know where I would spend my hard earned money.

PH

Last edited:
Estonian
All it says is that made of EPS 110 foam, hight 240mm, accommodates 10 frames... price aroung 15 pounds.

i was thinking about buying them to my brother in Estonia to start beekeeping, not getting them here to England :)

Lauri

yes, but its irrelevant, question was - what this EPS 110 stands for? as quality means. cheers.

Lauri

That would depend on whether they are one and the same!

IF they are one and the same they will be OK. IF not then who knows.

Any number can be banded around. Happens in all sorts of areas (per eg router model numbers which might appear, at first glance, to be indicative of the power in Watts!) All I know is what I have been told and that is the Paradise Honey poly is 100kg/m cubed minimum.

Not even sure whether it is the same name or a sound-alike. My Estonian is far worse than my French translation and the French is not so hot!

So I would beware until confirmed.

Regards, RAB

In Finland there are

EPS 110 mm. EPS 80 mm. EPS 70 mm. EPS 55 mm. EPS 95 mm. Routaeristeen paksuus, routiva siltti tai savi.

Käytettäessä laatua EPS 200 Routa tai EPS 300

They are soil frost insulators to prevent the road bases to freeze.
They are soft styroks and not suitable to hive construction.

17092009088-766806.jpg

110kg/m3

why has no-one pointed this out so far? density is banded about on loads of threads (especially re new WPF haves and nucs) but not this one so far.

see the link as an example (same name, different site and language):

http://www.beekeeping.org/paradisehoney/index_us.htm

Yes, paradise honey says Hives

The Honey beehive box is made from hard EPS-polystyren. EPS 100 kg/m3 expandable polystyren and bees are not able to gnaw into the material.

I looked at the link again. The boxe look nothing like the Paradise Honey polys.

'Sound-alike' name, I reckon. I am always very careful where sound-alike names are involved.

RAB

I looked at the link again. The boxe look nothing like the Paradise Honey polys.

'Sound-alike' name, I reckon. I am always very careful where sound-alike names are involved.

RAB

They are very same and the label on the box is the same.
I have those same labeled boxes.

Here is the same modell from Finnish reseller

Honey%20vanh.JPG

Finman, you are correct, they do look the same.

I was comparing withy MBS examples - different hand-holds(?), hard plastic inserts, no lip on the boxes etc. Seem to be considerable differences between the UK and Continental Europe specs.

Regards, RAB

The pictures of Paradise Honey hives above are the old model which has now been superceded by the version with hard plastic edges. The link above (beekeeping.org) is to a site which seems to have a chached version of the old Paradise Honey website. Of historic interest only.

Latest posts

Back