Poly usage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The poll is still running albeit now slowing down and from 389 voters all poly is 18% and those with some poly is an astonishing 85%

PH

I worked on computers in '64, they were flight control computers fitted to helicopters. Also computers fitted to Decca Nav equipment
Decca - that takes me back to my NRAST course and exams, Decca was still (just) alive then as was LoranC

Some of us old ##rts were using computers in the late 1960s/early 1970s to land lunar modules (I refer to a game on the DEC PDP8 using a teletype )
I worked on flight control computers fitted to helicopters in '64. Also computers fitted to Decca Nav equipment in the same year. Later worked/repaired them for a living. But I must admit these days I find it difficult to understand the things.

Decca was very innovated in it's day. The original Mk 1, which was designed for maretine work used a mechanical computer..
Never used that particular model, but saw a few and yes, very clicky and wirrrrrrrrry the machines we had when I started on the boats were pretty advanced, digital displays and you could switch from Decca to GPS in a thrice - most of us didn't bother switching them back! most of our charts were still Decca grids though and even long after Decca was history I can remember the excitement when someone came across the few remaining decca charts in the folio. I think I was on watch the day they finally switched Decca off.

Just had a photo from Lesotho, a standard sesotho cooking fire for a family. It's not lit as it isn't dinnertime. About the same size as your average bucket - big enough for a large frying pan to cover.
Although electricity is available in a lot of areas, (it was part of the 'deal' when they built the Khatse dam - all the electricity there is hydro-electric, generated by the water pumping out to water South Africa)they don't have it in the more remote villages
fb.jpg

And................................?
There were 10 inputs to the computer, but usually only 4 were used, the Master Tx, and you could choose from Green, Blue, Yellow, Red, Purple etc. The inputs were driven by electric motors that "counted" the "standing sine waves" generated by the Decca TX Chains.. The output from the computer, being mechanical could be used to drive mechanical clock type displays which could be "translated" into map references.. The input drives to the computer were obtained from 4/6 x RF receivers usually tuned individualy to the ( usualy). 4 transmitters in a chain. Hope this helps..

There were 10 inputs to the computer, but usually only 4 were used, the Master Tx, and you could choose from Green, Blue, Yellow, Red, Purple etc. The inputs were driven by electric motors that "counted" the "standing sine waves" generated by the Decca TX Chains.. The output from the computer, being mechanical could be used to drive mechanical clock type displays which could be "translated" into map references.. The input drives to the computer were obtained from 4/6 x RF receivers usually tuned individualy to the ( usualy). 4 transmitters in a chain. Hope this helps..
Like being back in school! yes, and the Decca charts had gridlines corresponding to transmission chains and were colour coded so the Decca 'coordinates' were totally different to Lat and Long. LoranC was more or less identical but was international as opposed to Decca which was just the British isles and surrounding areas, most of the transmitters were in coast radio stations. The analogue Decca sets had been superseded by the digital sets by the time I joined so the sets could translate the Decca coordinates to Lat and Long (Now WGS) coordinates. Sometimes the skipper would make us use Decca just to exercise our brains!

Like being back in school! yes, and the Decca charts had gridlines corresponding to transmission chains and were colour coded so the Decca 'coordinates' were totally different to Lat and Long. LoranC was more or less identical but was international as opposed to Decca which was just the British isles and surrounding areas, most of the transmitters were in coast radio stations. The analogue Decca sets had been superseded by the digital sets by the time I joined so the sets could translate the Decca coordinates to Lat and Long (Now WGS) coordinates. Sometimes the skipper would make us use Decca just to exercise our brains!
The last Decca chain to close was the one in S Wales.. On the Wessex helicopters they had the MK 8A. The chart was a roll approx 14 inches wide that scrolled up or down and a pointer would move side to side. Srangely, looking at the chart Oxford was "south" of London. We fitted the Decca to the choppers ready for an exersize to north Africa, Tobruk. We had good coverage all the way down and back.

How can that be a 'win, win'? It is still burning fossil fuels. It is still adding to the atmospheric CO2. If you think that is acceptable in any way shape or form, please think again!

It is similar to the Canadians burning the tar sands to extract the remaining oil, for burning in the USA! lose, lose, in my opinion. VERY POLLUTING FROM ANY ANGLE.
Please reread my post I said according to the paper work!

I will bring this thread back gently to poly if I may. What I find incredible still is so many do not or will not use top insulation when it is so obvious. Virtually no one who teaches seems to know that the OMF was invented to improve Wintering before varroa ever arrived here. The open mesh floor in the research was coupled with top ventilation for best results. So even if you for what ever reason/s are again using poly for goodness sake put that bit of insulation over the CB and uses for that matter solid crownboards to help the bees keep cosy. I cannot understand why this is such a difficult concept. Bees like to be warm. It's that simple. I won't put up the link but a simple google on Mobus and Wintering will give the info.

PH

More important than recycling is the weight of polyhive and my backbone. Poly langstroth box is 1.0 kg moist wooden box is 10 kg. 30 mm thick wall.

I try to live this day. Heaven in future comes if comes.

About recycling. A tank in Ukraine cost over £ 4 million. A new Leopard tank is £ 10 million.

Finnish companies had factories quite much in Russia a week ago, and now they have been behind border.

About recycling. A tank in Ukraine cost over £ 4 million. A new Leopard tank is £ 10 million.

Finnish companies had factories quite much in Russia a week ago, and now they have been behind border.

I thought tanks in Ukraine were free if you have tractors?

Latest posts

Back