Poly usage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the RHI is coming to an end and its successor, the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, doesn't cover new builds. So in areas where there is no mains gas an oil fired boiler is likely the most economical solution when building a new home.
I agree it is a pity this government is ending the RHI but John's neighbour is in the process of building a new home so he would be able to register before the scheme closes in March 2022.

Re ground source heat pumps.... In the late '50s a small explosion (electrical) in a coal seam being mined from the Ferndale ( Rhondda) number 1 colliery caused the seam to "catch fire" My dad spent many weeks underground fighting this fire and building "blocks" in the tunnels to contain the burn.. I made inquiries to the local council/planning authority if it would be possible to tap into this heat source using a ground source heat pump, they would not discuss the project, one of the comments made to me was in local jargon.. " Your off your tump".. apparently it is still burning/smouldering. At the time when they had contained the fire, they estimated it would burn for 100years +

Re ground source heat pumps.... In the late '50s a small explosion (electrical) in a coal seam being mined from the Ferndale ( Rhondda) number 1 colliery caused the seam to "catch fire" My dad spent many weeks underground fighting this fire and building "blocks" in the tunnels to contain the burn.. I made inquiries to the local council/planning authority if it would be possible to tap into this heat source using a ground source heat pump, they would not discuss the project, one of the comments made to me was in local jargon.. " Your off your tump".. apparently it is still burning/smouldering. At the time when they had contained the fire, they estimated it would burn for 100years +
Perhaps they should go to Iceland to see how they tap into natural heat?

Stoke on Trent Had a program to heat 4500 homes using hot water from thermal sources # underground. Delayed to Covid and missed grants I think.
# probably old coal mine working but cannot recall.

Hi Dani ,they are working on igniting a coal seam at the point of Ayr colliery it runs under Colwyn Bay . The controlled burn will bake the coal , creating town gas . This should leave coke behind !.
whether or not the idea has bee abandoned I have no idea but it’s win win on paper .

Many ground source heat pumps use boreholes to access energy from the local aquifer. If the aquifer takes up heat from the burn it might be a a great source of heat. 😊

I ran a poll on a busy FB UK site asking how many had or used poly and some 85% of respondents have. That is some shift in 30 years. 15% were fully polly which again is some change.

PH

What a pity we don't have any bee equipment suppliers on here who might want to add to your findings by sharing their own data concerning what proportion of their hive-box sales relates to poly. ;)

I thinks it's you who needs to get real, rather than trying to justify your contempt for anyone who is trying to reduce our impact on the environment by having a poke at less developed countries.
You're right.....less developed countries have no choice, as it's a matter of survival for them in many cases. It's us, living in the more developed parts of the world that have to take responsibility, make changes and help them!

At the time when they had contained the fire, they estimated it would burn for 100years +
No fuel company worth its salt will give away such a power source for nothing!

Stoke on Trent Had a program to heat 4500 homes using hot water from thermal sources # underground. Delayed to Covid and missed grants I think.
# probably old coal mine working but cannot recall.
Yeah, blocked roads made it a pain in the bum to go boxing. Incidentally, I didn't need any heating on after that, regardless of the weather! 😁

What a pity we don't have any bee equipment suppliers on here who might want to add to your findings by sharing their own data concerning what proportion of their hive-box sales relates to poly. ;)
Got to factor in that most timber hive users can't use a computer nevermind access Facebook to vote 😁
100+ Swienty polys and 30 cedar. Can't say I can see much difference other than when a big tree hit 8 of them last year at a mixed site the timber hives with metal roofs survived unscathed while the abelo roofs and poly broods didn't.....
Poly nucs on the other hand (as MBC pointed out earlier) are fantastic.

Got to factor in that most timber hive users can't use a computer nevermind access Facebook to vote 😁
100+ Swienty polys and 30 cedar. Can't say I can see much difference other than when a big tree hit 8 of them last year at a mixed site the timber hives with metal roofs survived unscathed while the abelo roofs and poly broods didn't.....
Poly nucs on the other hand (as MBC pointed out earlier) are fantastic.
Very funny !
we can however use our brains .
computers weren’t invented by the computer enamoured generation !😉

Very funny !
we can however use our brains .
computers weren’t invented by the computer enamoured generation !😉

Some of us old ##rts were using computers in the late 1960s/early 1970s to land lunar modules (I refer to a game on the DEC PDP8 using a teletype )

Some of us old ##rts were using computers in the late 1960s/early 1970s to land lunar modules (I refer to a game on the DEC PDP8 using a teletype )
Too true !
the Jacqard weaving loom is oft quoted as an example of the first computer usage .
Early 19th century.
My sisters weaved tapestry on Jaquard frames.
That of course is history not taught to the comedian! 😂😂

Too true !
the Jacqard weaving loom is oft quoted as an example of the first computer usage .
Early 19th century.
My sisters weaved tapestry on Jaquard frames.
That of course is history not taught to the comedian! 😂😂

We have an example of the first mechanical computers invented c 2400BC by the Babylonians (allegedly). It's an abacus.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
This should leave coke behind !.
whether or not the idea has bee abandoned I have no idea but it’s win win on paper .

How can that be a 'win, win'? It is still burning fossil fuels. It is still adding to the atmospheric CO2. If you think that is acceptable in any way shape or form, please think again!

It is similar to the Canadians burning the tar sands to extract the remaining oil, for burning in the USA! lose, lose, in my opinion. VERY POLLUTING FROM ANY ANGLE.

Latest posts

Back