Poly nuc - to paint or not to paint, that is the question.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I've just taken delivery of a poly nuc from P*y**s. In the accompanying leaflet it says it doesn't need to be painted but will last much longer if it is. I'm a bit reluctant to spend £14 on a tin of masonry paint, most of which will then go unused, and I like the colour it is unpainted.

Has anyone else left their poly nuc au naturel, and if so , how long has it lasted?

I use the little sample potts of exterior emulsion from homebase - 1 pott does 1 hive x 2-3 coats easily with some to spare (and that inludes the extension bit for the nuc)

Black for the underside of the roof.

If you've ever been inside one, you'll know it's quite light - bees like the dark - paint on the outside isn't just for protection. :)

IMHO

I painted mine today!
I used cuprinol shades, maple leaf green! Blends in well with the surroundings!
Quick to dry too!

i have 600 never painted one they will still last for 30 years

they also recommend painting the feeder space - has anyone done this??

it was too much of a challenge for us so we opted for taping the space up and cutting a hole in the crown board and getting an eke to fit one of their rectangular feeder boxes

My local Asda are selling off 1 litre cans of Cuprinol Garden Shades for just under £6 - half price. Ideal for painting polynucs. Green, Blue or Cream colours.

I bought Green for my TBHs - looks lovely...apart from the rain streaks! eek

they also recommend painting the feeder space - has anyone done this??

it was too much of a challenge for us so we opted for taping the space up and cutting a hole in the crown board and getting an eke to fit one of their rectangular feeder boxes
I painted the outside and the feeder space with B@Q exterior textured pain. I used one of the very small paint rollers from B@Q, the sort for painting behind radiators. (Not that my nuc had any radiators). Seems to have worked ok. The textured paint in the feeder space I found to be good as it appeared to make it easy for the bees to use it without falling in and drowning, used in conjunction with a piece of wood used as afloat. I am though a little concerned about how to clean it thoroughly and I have just posted a question to Poly Hive re this aspect.

This is a pic of my poly hive painted with Dulux weathershield smooth masonry paint.

Last edited:
Painted mine on the outside, and didn't paint the inside of the feeder compartment. Then after using it, I decided I would paint the feeder compartment. I watered down some paint, rolled it around inside the feeder compartment and let the excess drain away. Looks lovely, no idea about whether it makes a difference. I did buy poly hives at the same time, so a big tin of paint seemed a reasonable purchase.

My local Asda are selling off 1 litre cans of Cuprinol Garden Shades for just under £6 - half price. Ideal for painting polynucs. Green, Blue or Cream colours.

I bought Green for my TBHs - looks lovely...apart from the rain streaks! eek

Brill! I paid £15!

I've just taken delivery of a poly nuc from P*y**s. In the accompanying leaflet it says it doesn't need to be painted but will last much longer if it is. I'm a bit reluctant to spend £14 on a tin of masonry paint, most of which will then go unused, and I like the colour it is unpainted.

Has anyone else left their poly nuc au naturel, and if so , how long has it lasted?
Painted all mine with Dulux Woodland Green no. 3. All surfaces inside and out. find that inside of hive body is not getting proplised anywhere near as much as unpainted surfaces.

I am though a little concerned about how to clean it thoroughly and I have just posted a question to Poly Hive re this aspect.

I use a sponge on a stick after scraping wax and debris with a (barbecue long handled) spatula. 10% bleach solution for sterilising poly kit.

Latest posts

Back