Poly Nuc Boxes & Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The replacements will be for the boxes only as the roofs, entrance spinners and clear sheets are still perfectly serviceable. I have emailed them to see what they are willing to offer.

They would be no use to me without roofs.

I have two poly nucs, which are PAINTED and both are occupied with a young laying queen, which I intend to bring through the winter.

The wasps are still managing to eat there way through to the feeder even after I have blocked the holes up. The nucs are complete rubbish and the best course of action is to switch over to wooden and stop the wasp problem in its tracks.

Thank god i only have two, stick with wood its much better!!!!!

I have two poly nucs, which are PAINTED and both are occupied with a young laying queen, which I intend to bring through the winter.

The wasps are still managing to eat there way through to the feeder even after I have blocked the holes up. The nucs are complete rubbish and the best course of action is to switch over to wooden and stop the wasp problem in its tracks.

A skin of fibreglass and resin would have been better than paint I think.

So we are not alone, we would normally be doing it in wood but the size the nucs came through this last winter we thought we'd invest in these and if all worked out buy a few hundred. The remaining nucs are all in wood so we shall be able to compare.

They are willing to collect but didn't not answer my question regarding any compensation for the painting and time.

I have two poly nucs, which are PAINTED ...

The wasps are still managing to eat there way through to the feeder even after I have blocked the holes up. ...

So do I take it that you have also painted the outside and not the inside of the feeders?

I thought it was well-known among even moderately experienced beekeepers that expanded polystyrene feeders (rather like wooden feeders actually) needed internal sealing before use to make sure that they don't leak!
This from CWynneJones
Polystyrene 45mm thick.Density 100g/litre. Should be painted inside prior to use.
And this from Thorn
To fit National or Commercial hives only and supplied assembled. This timber feeder is supplied untreated and will require sealing with glue or wax, then painting with undercoat and gloss paint, prior to use.
OK, wasps don't chew through wood quite as quickly, but they'll certainly be attracted in vast numbers (and have a go at chewing) if you fail to seal traditional wooden feeders (or poly ones) internally.

Also, I'd have expected that even a casual reader of this forum might have noticed that those that are happiest with these boxes are those who have decided to block off the feeder and just pretend it isn't there.
The things are good value if one accepts their limitations - forget the feeder, add rails, and add more top insulation for winter ... oh and if waiting for a swarm to join the Q inside, putting a strip of foam/sponge along the front prevents 'undershooting' and confused bees ending up under the mesh floor.

Last edited:
Also, I'd have expected that even a casual reader of this forum might have noticed that those that are happiest with these boxes are those who have decided to block off the feeder and just pretend it isn't there.
The things are good value if one accepts their limitations - forget the feeder, add rails, and add more top insulation for winter ... oh and if waiting for a swarm to join the Q inside, putting a strip of foam/sponge along the front prevents 'undershooting' and confused bees ending up under the mesh floor.

My experience of these boxes has been they're fine to use off the shelf, including the integral feeder, no paintuing inside or out and I havent had one eaten by wasps yet (touch wood!). At the full price they're a bit pricey for what they are, but bought in bulk at a discount they come in at about £20 which is about right I'd say for a virtually disposable transport box, try finding a wooden nuc ready to go at treble that price and you'll struggle.

No probs with polys unpaited here feeding too

I haven't had a problem with these nucs, but i do use a tough plastic bag inside the feeder, freezer bag will do, that way I can just remove the bag clean it and re-use or replace it. It prevents the inside of the feeder becoming rank and mouldy with no satisfactory way of cleaning it out when occupied with bees.

Just had a reply and they said they will be dispatching 10 replacements to us. Asked we returned the remaining 9 boxes to them.

Where do I stand in regards to the cost it has involved us? I mean we have had to buy paint and devote time to paint them and also had to fund the returns cost. Should they not be offering anything for this?

I think they should let you keep the faulty boxes or at the very least send you some return slips so they have to pay for returning them.

There is absolutely no need to paint these nucs inside or out, they don't leak normally and the bees can walk up and down the surfaces without any problems at all, painting is a waste of time and money.

If you feed a commercial invert syrup there is no mould issue at all, as these are formulated to around 74% solids and contain preservatives.

If you feed a commercial invert syrup there is no mould issue at all, as these are formulated to around 74% solids and contain preservatives.

What about poly Ashforth / Miller feeders, do you paint inside them? or does the invert syrup not get into the poly and make it go mouldy?

I don't paint anything poly, no need.

Since I started using the commercial invert syrups, I've not had any of the problems I experienced with home made syrups.

Just make sure you only feed enough that the bees take it down quickly and completely, then they lick their plates clean.

There is absolutely no need to paint these nucs inside or out, they don't leak normally and the bees can walk up and down the surfaces without any problems at all, painting is a waste of time and money.

... Since I started using the commercial invert syrups, I've not had any of the problems I experienced with home made syrups.

Just make sure you only feed enough that the bees take it down quickly and completely, then they lick their plates clean.

"Any of the problems" ???

What problems?
Didn't you say there was ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to paint --- or was that ONLY if you feed commercial invert syrup in small quantities?

Itma, read my post carefully and you will understand.

We have 10 new boxes now, just trying to get a window to paint them what with all the rain. They will be arranging collection of the old boxes. No mention of compensation for paint etc.

Also been cutting insulation today to fit in the ekes. Should work a treat.

Latest posts

Back