Poly National Hive ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I see Modern Beekeeping are showing a new Poly National Hive on their home page. I have gone down the Poly Langstroth route, but an interesting option all the same.

I think that when the wall thickness is taken into consideration, this will be the same brood area as a WBC. May be better run as double brood.

Although, a 14x12 is possibly in the offing for the future, but again, this may be less frames than cedar.

I am hoping for one for Christmas...or birthday if I am a good girl...then again, that's probably out the window!

May I suggest a 10 frame poly hive has potentially more brood area than an 11 frame wooden hive? This is because in a poly hive the queen will happily lay in all 10 frames whereas in an 11 frame wooden hive the maximum is probably 9. There are always exceptions of course but generally the outer frames on wooden hives suffer too much temperature fluctuation.

The 10 frame hive will hold less stores but what are supers for and in a well insulated hive the bees can move up into the super readily in winter to access the stores.

Without wishing to pre-empt any unsuitable advertising, is the suggestion of there possibly being 14x12 polys available in the future on MB a viable one?

I'm contactable via PM if answer too close to plugging!

May I suggest a 10 frame poly hive has potentially more brood area than an 11 frame wooden hive? This is because in a poly hive the queen will happily lay in all 10 frames whereas in an 11 frame wooden hive the maximum is probably 9. There are always exceptions of course but generally the outer frames on wooden hives suffer too much temperature fluctuation.

The 10 frame hive will hold less stores but what are supers for and in a well insulated hive the bees can move up into the super readily in winter to access the stores.

Point taken.

I am experimenting with your hives and overwintering two colonies as a trial.
:cheers2:

Does RT know about this ? :)

He should do, he sold them to me (but not the bees). So technically, they were his hives and now they are mine. :)

I differentiate between hives and colonies. Hives to me means hardware, colonies means the livestock.

Last edited:
Is there an eta. for the new nat poly hives ?

Says early 2011 on a picture on their the web site

There is already an 11 frame Nat Poly available.

Wall thickness does not affect ID but OD. ;)

PH

ID OD ? Translate into english, or even better welsh please

Latest posts

Back