poly mini nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Someone told me that if you have several mating nucs in the same area, they should be painted different colours to avoid drifting. Never seen any that have been painted, but is this a good idea?

Don't put nucs in line. Give to them each distinct location, about 2 metres apart.

They dont have to be painted a differnt colour, but an identifiable mark (ie number) would be advantageous

i have mine in a shed with the landing boards a diffrent colour seems to work for me

Yes they should be distinguishable from each other.

PH

I have some 20 odd, all painted by the man who wrote the book and they are in all different colours and designs.

PH

I rather think that is so but from the point of view that the bees see an identifiable pattern.

Personally I think painting the roofs with diagonal stripes, or each half different colours might be the safer option.

PH

If they can recognize numbers, ................ maybe they can read letters too ?

S U O N Z E H C ............. perhaps ? (my bees fly in from east to west )

.............................. are bees any good at anagrams ??

Now I understand your bees mating problems better!

The queen must learn to read first when she want to get married.

If they can recognize numbers, ................ maybe they can read letters too ?

Are your bees French then JC?

Why don't you just write. E M O H R U O
.................................. E M O H R U O Y
.................................. E M O H R I E H T

(silly old fool)

:hat: Frisbee

I purchased a colony early in the year that was on a stand along side another about 2 feet away. Both hives were painted white.

I swapped the frames into my brood box and then placed my brood box back on the stand to allow the foragers to return and settle.

My brood box was natural Cedar and the returning bees promptly came back to the wrong hive causing a lot of fighting on the landing board.

So colours are obviously important to them, not just for foraging.

The Frisbee JC Brum conversation is way over my head. Are you members of a secret organisation of some sort?

I think I'll compromise and paint coloured numbers on the mini nucs.
I'm also thinking about a few signposts for the bees to direct them homewards.

Are your bees French then JC?

Why don't you just write. E M O H R U O
.................................. E M O H R U O Y
.................................. E M O H R I E H T

(silly old fool)

:hat: Frisbee

Our Home
Your Home
Their Home

C B

Chez Nous - at our place?

i thought the queen went by smell i have read that as long as they have there own landing boards there is no problem, but anythink that would help them to mate and get back is worth a try

Latest posts

Back