Poly Langstroth versus Poly National

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I want to expand my apairy next year and I'm considering a poly hive and would like to know what if any the advantages of the poly Langstroth are when compared to a Poly National?

I'm going the same direction, and I have decided to go with poly nationals.

1. Compatable with what I already have
2. Frame lugs are longer - I've got fat fingers

I'm actualy going to have a go at building a poly national :toetap05:

Yours Roy

completely ignor the construction material, with them both being equal, the main differance is the size of area in the brood chamber, a langstroff being larger, also langs are avalible in europe more than nationals, this being of particular point if you want more than say ten, you can buy them in europe on holiday and bring them home delivery free

If I were not doing what I am, that is getting into the nucs business I would, if I were going for honey alone go for the Langstroth with out a moments hesitation.

I have had both over the years and run them together, and when you have forty odd Langstroth and 20 odd Nats the Nats are a pain. It's that simple I found.

PH

Thank you everyone, this is helpful advise. As my fingers are fairly nimble and I do pop over to Europe from time to time, also honey is my main interest, as well as the health of the bees of course, so I shall buy Langstroth.

At least I shall not have to worry about the bees being warm enough during the winter months!

Thanks again :cheers2:

The principle winter advantage is the bees are drier. Though you will also find they cluster where you do not expect, that is next to the walls, as yes warmer.

PH

I'm actualy going to have a go at building a poly national :toetap05:

Yours Roy

I have brought a couple of poly national BBs and while I can see/feel that they are warmer than wood I'm not sure how long they might last.

So I've been busy over the last couple of weeks making a hybrid Wood and Styrofoam 10 frame National Hive, WSIOFNH *name might need a bit more work*. This is a box made from 12mm ply, 460x460x225 OD. The bottom has 9x30 ply round it and is lined with 30mm foam, the top edge has another layer of 9x30 ply. This means were ever you might dig a hive tool in, it is wood with foam were the bees are. The roof is deep so that a 100mm high feeder or quilt goes on top. Note observation panel at the back so you can see how they are doing without pulling it all apart. The stand is 50x50 garden posts bolted together and extended out each side so a frame can be hung on them.

Mike.

Umm

I hate to say this but...Huston you have a problem.

If you leave that insulation exposed the bees will chew it to shreds. Trust me been there...

If you have bought your poly hives from Swienty or their agents in the UK again trust me on this they aint going to let you down. Think a life time. I am utterly confident on this.

If they are not from the above or Struan apiaries then I cannot comment as I have no experience on them.

PH

I have worked with the Swienty Langstroth polyhives this year and I am impressed.at their robustness, constructed as they are in on piece. By comparison, I get the impression that National poly boxes (from other manufacturers) arrive flat packed and so I have some doubts as to their physical strength. 14 x 12 just aren't available and that's a shame.

The short lug size isn't a problem. They are after all lugs and not handles. The J-tool makes frame removal a doddle, no matter the size of your fingers/hands. By comparison, BS National brood frames seem tiny.

I would be more than happy to consider purchasing 14 x 12 polyhives; definitely if one piece as the Swienty Langstroth examples. No hesitation. :)

completely ignor the construction material, with them both being equal, the main differance is the size of area in the brood chamber, a langstroff being larger, also langs are avalible in europe more than nationals, this being of particular point if you want more than say ten, you can buy them in europe on holiday and bring them home delivery free

So what do you use to go on holiday in? I have today just received a complete Langstroth poly hive and a jumbo brood box (thanks Buzzy Bee Shop/Macros). The boxes were light but big. Ten of them, you would need a removal van.
Yes Polyhive I have turned to polyhives. i thought they might be a bit easier moving around fields than wooden commercials. I am going to try the jumbo box next year cause I think Langstroths are slightly smaller than commercials and with some of my bees I can have a job fitting them in a commercial.
I am very impressed with the Sweinty products.
I like the idea that with langstroths you can use them as a brood box or as a honey super.

Last edited:
This is a new one to me.

The hives have no dovetail joints?

Anyway, the Langstroths I am acquainted with had joints and I has some for 15 years plus. No issues.

The only problem I know of is some vendors are punting cheap soft poly.

If the vendor is not on my list there may be an issue.

PH

I hate to say this but...Huston you have a problem.

If you leave that insulation exposed the bees will chew it to shreds. Trust me been there...

If you have bought your poly hives from Swienty or their agents in the UK again trust me on this they aint going to let you down. Think a life time. I am utterly confident on this.

If they are not from the above or Struan apiaries then I cannot comment as I have no experience on them.

PH

All gaps have been filled and all exposed wood and foam given two coats of varnish so will soon find out if the bees will chew it. The design has a few other 'features' not in other hives you can buy.

I'll tell when they are up and running.

Mike.

bees eating plastic?? Higher density, harder, polystyrene.

I run cedar 14x12 (12 this year), a polyhive with an extension piece underneath to make the brood box 14x12, and at a different apiary I use Poly Langstroths [six] ... Swienty version. The Poly hive is ok, though flat-packed. The Swienty Langstroth boxes are one piece - brilliant!

Having started [and still using] with long lugs on 14x12, and , I find the short lugs easier ... never thought that would be the case, but they are!

I use standard Langstroth boxes throughout - no smaller "supers" ... and , yes , a couple of storming colonies make the one box seem a bit small, especially when I compare then with the 14x12. But, hey, small price to pay, and uniformity of box size is a boon.

Yes, Poly's are a LOT warmer, with a looser winter cluster and earlier build up - and yes, they don't avoid the cold walls .. 'cos they ain't cold!

And cost!!! Poly Langstroths are widely used in Europe, and they are LOADS cheaper than the smaller-market-UK-only PolyHive [Nat]. Carriage is by volume, rather than weight, so flat pack Poly's [e.g somePolish and German varieties] ... are cheaper to import ... but I curb my impatience and get Swienty to bring mine to Stoneleigh, from where i collect then carriage free!

On the subject of Poly Langstroths ... Swienty ones have flat tops to the wals of the boxes ... a couple of others [e.g the excellent and cheap ones sold by Modern Beekeeping] are rebated ... much like you see on those excellent German IWF videos ... but as I like fiddling about making apiguard ekes, clearer boards etc, I get on better with the simpler flat top approach.

Well you learn something new all the time here- that comment about Sweinty and Stoneleigh. I will have to remember that Gaz Fella :cheers2:

DulwichGnome That is one seriously smart hive.

Gratz Mate :) :cheers2:

Hope it all works out with the poly type.

I missed the question about the chewing.

There are different densities of poly (obviously) from the sort of stuff that your TV arrives protected by and the stuff that is used for the good hives.

You need to be aware that there are two densities of hive and the ones whose vendors I have mentioned sell the stronger harder stuff.

I once dropped on off a trailer at 40mph and all the damage was a chamfering of the roof. The colony seemed none the worse. They certainly didn't lose the queen.

PH

I missed the question about the chewing.

There are different densities of poly (obviously) from the sort of stuff that your TV arrives protected by and the stuff that is used for the good hives.

You need to be aware that there are two densities of hive and the ones whose vendors I have mentioned sell the stronger harder stuff.

I once dropped on off a trailer at 40mph and all the damage was a chamfering of the roof. The colony seemed none the worse. They certainly didn't lose the queen.

PH

Thanx :)

Yours Roy

Latest posts

Back