Poly Jumbo Langstroth to 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenperrett

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Here`s some pictures of my poly nuc from Rooftops converted to 14x12.
I thought about it for ages and in the end it took about 20 mins to convert it so i`ll probably get another couple for next year.

top job! i will be ordering some as well i think, did you need to change anything on the roof i presume there is a slight increase in bee space at either end.
:D

Excellent conversion.
Hope your bees aren't sticky.

darrenperrett,

Looks good. How much extra did it add to the weight in the end?

Mine, in fablon-covered styrene loft insulation board weighed in at 330g.

Regards, RAB

Top job.

Very good by the looks of it.

'Bout thirty eight quid delivered.

Mine were about thirty three quid delivered

RAB

Last edited:
darrenperrett,

Looks good. How much extra did it add to the weight in the end?

Mine, in fablon-covered styrene loft insulation board weighed in at 330g.

Regards, RAB

I haven`t weighed it RAB but 2 pieces of 10mm ply 12" x 9" and a couple of pieces of cedar as spacers.
Behind the ply is just cavity but they are a very tight fit so no problem with wax moth getting in there. I blocked off both entrances and put a new one in the side so i didn`t have to mess around too much.

Darren.

top job! i will be ordering some as well i think, did you need to change anything on the roof i presume there is a slight increase in bee space at either end.
:D

There is a beespace above the frames but i`ll probably lay a sheet of plastic on there to stop them gumming the roof down like i do with the Kieler mini nucs.
I use that thickish plastic that you use as a membrane under concrete.

Darren.

Good job that Darren

Just goes to show that we have to sometimes think in this case inside the box and not as it often pays to outside the box.

Tom

Excellent conversion - I assume each end is the same, i.e. it is symetrical?

Did you consider sealing the wood/poly joints with a bit of clear bathroom/kitchen sealer?

Excellent conversion - I assume each end is the same, i.e. it is symetrical?

Did you consider sealing the wood/poly joints with a bit of clear bathroom/kitchen sealer?

Thanks RT,

Yes, both ends are the same, sealing off both entrances.
I could have used one of the entrances but it becomes too fiddly to get it right and i wanted something quick and easy.
I could probably get half a dozen done like that in a morning and i`m sure the bees won`t mind a side door.

I might put a small bead of silicone down the sides as i don`t need to use it at the moment so it`ll have plenty of time to cure and lose the smell.

Darren.

I like the straightforwardness of the the conversion :drool5:
Clean cut, bee space fully observed !!
You obviously hold with the saying "Measure twice- cut once" :cool:
Looks simple but then, don't all well designed projects?

John Wilkinson

Hi Darren, is the poly floor fixed to the sides or when you lift the nuc does it stay on the ground?

JD

jezd,

Only if you lift at the handles! I am thinking of screwing mine together. However, when you think about it, you need a hive strap to be sure the roof stays on, so does it really matter that much? I would just 'feel' happier if parts could not separate.

One downside to fixing securely is ease of covering the mesh for thymol treatment.

Have you decided on a particular variety yet?

Regards, RAB

nope, but I have ruled some products out and so the choice is very narrow now lol, I need xxxx or get of the pot as they say :)

I'm going to overwinter some nucs in these.
What do you suggest if I need to feed fondant - in between the frames?

talking of nuc boxes its a pity the bee brief is not sold over here
kev

Latest posts

Back