Poly Hive's?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The water board have just given us 3 months free cover on split pipes on our property.so it must mean a warm ish winter .

I like proper cold winters and so do my bees they came through and ramped up like a good'n in the spring.:nature-smiley-12:

Yes I like snow.

I am going to start beekeeping next year.
Have been looking at hive options and like the look/design/price of the poly hives from paynes that have been discused here.
My only concern is what are they like to take apart when stuck with propolis.
Would the edges become damaged when prised apart.
And I see that they include a poly crown board.
Would the bees also stick this down.
Or should I go for wood.

A poly hive is very much easier to take apart when propolised.

My last wooden hive is a nightmare to get apart in comparison.

If poly hives were difficult to take apart do you think they would in such wide spread use all across Europe.

It us hidebound as usual that is out of step. And I am far far from being pro Europe BTW

PH

Roger Payne showed me the Paynes poly hives on saturday, very well designed and done, UK made so I will be investing.

Hiya Nic,
I like the look of them from what I can see in their pictures, particularly the wood/poly mix which appears to show the wooden box sitting in a recess designed for purpose? (On the poly floor at least)
I'll run one of my colonies up into the poly in spring and see how they go. If they do really well I'll convert all the BB first, then add some supers bit by bit.

the design had been well thought through and tweaked before getting to market. Brood box locks to base for transport. Integration with wood is especially cleaver, and the boxes have loads of hand holds for easy gripping. Simple things like using wood entrance blocks or easy changing between rails or castellations are all there as is hive strap strap locations that you would expect. parts all come 'ready' with no build before painting. This is obviously not something they have knocked up but is 2 years in because of development. UK made by a UK company, a small family one (met Mum and Dad Paynes as well!). Just the sort of firm my money will go to in preference.

These are bottom bee space?

Certainly looks like it

poly14x12completehiveempty-3.jpg

Looks to me like they are using the same Poly as used on their Nuc boxes? Although I like the Nuc boxes I have had problems with wasps easily chewing through into the feeders. The poly used does not appear to be as strong and I would imagine dense as some other manufacturers such as MB's or Sweinty.
Might get a couple of 14x12 broods to see how they fair next year but would be interested to see one first.
Cheers
S

Looks to me like they are using the same Poly as used on their Nuc boxes? Although I like the Nuc boxes I have had problems with wasps easily chewing through into the feeders. The poly used does not appear to be as strong and I would imagine dense as some other manufacturers such as MB's or Sweinty.
Might get a couple of 14x12 broods to see how they fair next year but would be interested to see one first.
Cheers
S

Quote from paynes web site:

"its made from a very high density material, 100g/litre - upto 3 times stronger than what is used for packaging"

I didnt have any problems with mine.

They are sending out the Poly Nationals today. So i sould have mine in the next few days

I have a couple of the nuc boxes and I think it is not the density that is a problem but the thickness of the walls. They do not seem to be as thick as other manufacturers. Cant comment on the full, size hive.

if bottom bee space you should be able to see the gap at the end of the top bars. Looks like either TBS or half and half again.

Quote from paynes web site:

"its made from a very high density material, 100g/litre - upto 3 times stronger than what is used for packaging"

I didnt have any problems with mine.

They are sending out the Poly Nationals today. So i sould have mine in the next few days

Just an observation and from last seasons experience:
I have 10 Nucs and 4 have holes into the feeders from wasps (as attached). As you can see I have changed the entrance to a round disc. To make the hole for the disc a screwdriver was simply pushed through the poly, you couldnt do that with a MB and Sweinty bit of kit. As I said I like the Nucs as they are cheap enough and with a few mods very servicable.
Will be interested in how you get on with the hives?

Cheers
S
PS The white on the front is from where I painted inside with Sandtex to make the feeder rougher for bees. I am known to be a messy bxxxer when painting and this just proves it.

Latest posts

Back