Poly Hive's?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Been following the threads about poly hives for a while and can see their advantages.

Im new to beekeeping and havent got bees yet and am seriously thinking 14x12 cedar is the route, however recently it's got me thinking poly might be the better choice for the bees.....

Correct: Published research has shown significant improved Bee colony winter survival, better spring growth, reduced winter stores consumption, lower incidence of disease and better spring honey production from insulated hives insulated to the level of polystyrene foam hives ~40 - 50mm thick compared to uninsulated wooden hives, in environments from the Arctic circle to the sub tropics

The down side? well fed, healthy, profilic bees like to swarm.

I am going to get two 12X14 polys and put my 2 over wintering (paynes poly) nucs in to them depending on the weather of course, if I can get them on the feed from very early march I will move them asap. I going to see if I can get some spring honey for the first time......
I have a number of the Paxxnes poly nucs and am generally pleased with them but last week noticed that wasps had started to eat their way into one of the feeders! I moved the bees into another nuc and have now filled the hole with epoxy resin. Havnt checked this week yet but will take some pics if the same is happening when I get out there
S

Been doing some more research and the more I think about it I think it's now my preferred route however, that being said as its not on my own property i've somehow got to convince my mum as i did show her some pictures of tom bricks hives which do look stunning!

one question to someone that has been using poly hive's a while, what have you used to repair any holes etc (assuming you've had some)?

It's interesting searching this forum for poly hives and reading the threads, got a feeling everyone at the HBKA will warn me against poly's (it's the age old though so i'll take it with a pitch of salt).

I e-mailed MBeekeeping a month or so back reference 14 x 12 BB. They indicated they are looking at doing a Nat 14 x 12 next year. Didn't say when exactly.

Paul

Paul, they said that last year.....
2 supers work as the floor is deep. That's what I'm doing with two colonies;but you will need that 20mm eke if you are putting the boxes on another...to unite or do a bailey change for example.

last communication I has on MB 14 x 12 was an eke solution which I felt was best however I didn't get the impression it was iminent unfortunately.

Received today from MB:

We do hope to produce a 14x12 in time for next season, please keep an eye on the website and newsletters for information.

Just trying to get geared up for MB sale - if I go for MB Langstrath what would people recommend for brood?

a) Jumbo
b) Full
c) 2x Medium as brood

Got a feeling (a) needs to be my perference but (b) will suffice.

Last edited:
If you go down the MB route langs - which one do you go for to as the're about 3-4 different options! Also with regards painting they always seem to be out of their paint - is the diy stuff ok to use long as you get the right type of acrylic paint.

Thanks

Our association apiary has just transferred three hives to poly brood boxes.

One coat of off white Sandtex masonry paint and then a topcoat of wax and water green fence paint.. Worked quite well - a fetching shade of washed out green hid them quite well from passers by.

Just trying to get geared up for MB sale - if I go for MB Langstrath what would people recommend for brood?

a) Jumbo
b) Full
c) 2x Medium as brood

Got a feeling (a) needs to be my perference but (b) will suffice.

I say c) then you have same volume as a) but with a lot more flexibility.

I am trialing option c next year as my potential prefered LS solution though I will have all three sizes on nucs running, all have pros and cons and all will find their advocates but for me I feel c is the first one I will try in numbers.

Last edited:
Just bear in mind that Poland is well worth a look. Lyson.pl

Also keep compatibility in mind too. Very much so.

PH

What are you all going to use in the supers - l/s or dadant frames?

I use the MB nucs and like them a lot.

using Hannah's black plastic frames for all LS hives I can in my trial.

I spoke to someone last in the local association that has langstroth's and he recommended I start with a standard brood box. I think it's good advice as i need to think about my plans for AS etc.

Has anybody got any photos of their poly setups?

Another thing if I go down the MB route and cannot get a langstroth nuc from this guy, are MB's converters any good for national frames? I did get warned off a little as he said it can be probalmatic, not knowing how this works its probably good advice as he wasnt pressuring me down any route.

Latest posts

Back