Poly Hive has gone..................

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know how you get on. Apparently 15C predicted in London on Monday.

Came home with tail between legs.

Not a bee flying.

Then got stuck in the mud by the farm and had to beg a tow out.

B***dy weather needs a good kick and a reminder of the date.

Frankly my bees in Aberdeenshire on average would have been further on than this by a mile given an ordinary spring.

PH

Hi Poly, just to say you were in good company re the Mud! Needed a tow by tractor. The bees were going great guns however (sorry). Buzz

If its any consolation my Hampshire coastal micro-climate is about 1000 miles to the south of me this year so far!!
The west country are doing loads better than me.
Not been able to lift a roof for 2 weeks.

I know some colonies and nucs are cooking with gas as the syrup is gone. That by the way is another damn good reason for a drop of syrup in a frame feeder as it igives a very good guide to who is doing well and who is not.

Anyway some of the Neopol is going well and again some not so there are as ever good uns and not so good ones. And all of that with out pulling a single frame.

PH

i've got hundreds out drinking water (on bit of carpet into pond). i assume they are breaking down ivy honey stores

been feeding golf ball size of nektapoll pollen substuiite fondant each inspection

limited pollen coming in since crocus finished

Sorry to rub salt into wounds ...

Mine are going crazy. Had a quick look today - eggs, brood and all that sort of thing But loads of lovely nectar too!!! Had to put a super on one hive, cause they were complaining about lack of space.

But Cornwall being Cornwall, maybe today is our summer ...

Drones?

Hi there thedeaddiplomat,

Did you by any chance see any drones in the making?
I am about to start my Queen rearing season, everything is ready, some hives have only just started to draw the Drone Foundation, yet they all (4 hives) have capped brood on both sides of two frames.
Not seen anyone on forum say they have seen drones YET.
Good spell of weather later this week in my area. So I think I will go ahead and do some grafting on Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'm in Kent by the way, but everything is about six weeks behind last years progress.

Cheers Bob.

Doing first grafts next weekend,set up very large colony for this today,and plenty of drone brood in most colonys,plus in drone combs put in especially. Also young drones in hives,not noticed any flying yet though,but the timing would be right for queens to open mate at end of month if weather is also good.

Last edited:
Doing first grafts next weekend,set up very large colony for this today,and plenty of drone brood in most colonys,plus in drone combs put in especially. Also young drones in hives,not noticed any flying yet though,but the timing would be right for queens to open mate at end of month if weather is also good.

I'm dead jeolous ! Havent got hatched drones yet and I'm itching to get going and have some 2010 queens mated . I've already missed the boat to get this years nucs ready to sell in the may auctions

Hatched drones???????????????

I'll be damn lucky to have any eggs laid at all let alone have drones in progress.

Sheesh.............. Some just do not appreciate what they have.

PH

Hatched drones???????????????

I'll be damn lucky to have any eggs laid at all let alone have drones in progress.

Sheesh.............. Some just do not appreciate what they have.

PH

You should try healthy breathable wood hives ;)

MET office predicted sunny and 17c on their web site last night for London,

then on 11.00 News drop that to 16c...well found me wellys under the stairs, go my bee suit out( washed and ironed by wifey), Great...inspection of my hospital case planned.....

this morning 9c , 10c...waited ,waited....by 2.00 pm thermometer has just got to 12.5c and no sun

now their web site says....max 14c for today...so, back on here bored!

Lovely and sunny here on the isle of wight lol
just no bees yet to check :)

Temps not to bad in Hants but the wind is pretty bad.
Tomorrow is the day for a look see..

Hi there thedeaddiplomat,

Did you by any chance see any drones in the making?

I did a quick check of mine yesterday while adding a super (I wanted to make sure they had plenty of space). Underneath a frame of nice worker brood, they had built some drone comb. I took some off to check for varroa (none) and the bee was fairly well developed - still white, but with recognisable features so probably still a few days away from hatching.

I didn't check any further as it was still pretty cool and I didn't want to do them any damage, but it looks like they are thinking about some drones.

I'm on the Glos/Worcs border.

Cheers,

Simon

I took some off to check for varroa (none) and the bee was fairly well developed - still white, but with recognisable features so probably still a few days away from hatching.

I didn't check any further as it was still pretty cool and I didn't want to do them any damage, but it looks like they are thinking about some drones.

I'm on the Glos/Worcs border.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi can you explain this to me please
thanks

Latest posts

Back