Poly hive colour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Daft question , is there any reason a poly hive can’t be painted a dark colour , I.e battleship grey.It won’t melt with the heat in summer will it ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
No reason…..paint them any colour you like, but I’d make them less obvious if in out apiary’s

Quite a few of mine are quite a drab green to try to blend in with the vegetation and I've never had a problem. Battleship grey isn't really that dark.

James

Thanks for all the replies guys , I keep mine in the garden so trying to find the least offensive colour ! Grey just looks like some fancy contemporary rock !

Paint them with whatever you fancy. My poly all get spray painted Forest green, after the first season it looks suitably weathered and pleasing to my eye.

I paint mine whatever shade of green/grey/brown I can acquire cheapest.

Mine are mostly painted dark and fairly camouflage so they won’t be easily spotted.

Attachments

• 40DE4E65-861C-48EA-831F-B4CFC0929CF3.jpeg
    40DE4E65-861C-48EA-831F-B4CFC0929CF3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Nicely done! Did you use a stencil for the leaf patterns?

At the request of our wives bee buddy and I are buying Abelo supers in pink.

I have a few pink ones, but I now buy them unpainted and save a fiver. I buy 125mm pots of garden colours, which means that I also have some lovely purple, yellow and turquoise ones which "co-ordinate" beautifully......I never forget where I've placed my hives. ;)

Latest posts

Back