Poly brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a Lang floor three broods and a roof for £300 on FB.

Used to boot. Not even specified as cedar.

I mean really?

PH

I mean really?

PH

Yeah but I doubt someone would pay that.

If you filter on completed/sold items you see what people actually bid!

I think a lot of people dont want to assemble so they compare the cost to an assembled unit and think they are getting a bargain.

I mean really?

PH

Ahh yes, but that was Mr Rangley, he's a bit special :)

He probably paid that for it from someone that saw an easy target to make a few quid from.

I have a mix of boxes, from now until autumn I mix wood and poly.. But once I'm setting up for winter I try not to mix boxes. Hence try lol..

Ahh yes, but that was Mr Rangley, he's a bit special :)

He probably paid that for it from someone that saw an easy target to make a few quid from.

Not to mention that he had EFB not so long ago, dont think I'd want his empty kit

Avoid putting wood on top of poly as the temperature difference leads to condensation on the wood. Poly above wood for now and change later...

Avoid putting wood on top of poly as the temperature difference leads to condensation on the wood. Poly above wood for now and change later...

I have not noticed that. I keep wooden up, because they are summer boxes and for honey. Brood are in warm polys down.

I do not know about winter. But why to keep mixture of boxes in winter.

Last edited:
I have not noticed that. I keep wooden up, because they are summer boxes and for honey. Brood are in warm polys down.

I do not know about winter. But why to keep mixture of boxes in winter.

I'm only basing this on observations when I've been faced with mixed boxes during summer when I've gone double brood on a colony in wood. I have some legacy wood boxes from when I first started but predominantly poly now.

I'm only basing this on observations when I've been faced with mixed boxes during summer when I've gone double brood on a colony in wood. I have some legacy wood boxes from when I first started but predominantly poly now.

I have used 30 years mixed towers. 2-3 brood boxes and 4-5 medium wooden boxes. Nothing condensation or moisture inside hives.

My wooden boxes are 30 mm thick.

The wall must be very cold if it condensates water onto surface in summer.

But if you have condensation, you have then.

Water use to soak into wood and dryes up through the wall.

I have used 30 years mixed towers. 2-3 brood boxes and 4-5 medium wooden boxes. Nothing condensation or moisture inside hives.

My wooden boxes are 30 mm thick.

The wall must be very cold if it condensates water onto surface in summer.

But if you have condensation, you have then.

Water use to soak into wood and dryes up through the wall.
Sorry Finnan. I was talking about winter. No problems in summer

Latest posts

Back