Pollen substitute

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just placing an order with Abelo (for my much agonised about Sublimox, which is in their sale) and I noticed they have pollen substitute half price (£2 / kg), presume close to sell by date.... The brand is Lyson Apikand with pollen. It contains 8% pollen which is higher than Candipolline Gold. Would consider putting it on hives if we have a slow start to spring, when colonies may benefit from some extra pollen. Has anyone used it / have a view on this particular product?

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/sale/fondant-with-pollen-1kg-sale/

It won’t hurt them but if your set on feeding then do a proper substitute not some halfway expensive fondant dye

when colonies may benefit from some extra pollen
Is there a shortage of natural pollen resource in your area, Elaine?

Pollen patties are likely to result in strong colonies early in the season, which is useful if you have OSR but not if you don't, though it may help build colonies for early queen rearing.

We have katkins, daphne and a host of other pollen sources.... strong colonies can get all they need ( my experience with Amm)

Put the savings towards a Sublimox!

Chons da

Just placing an order with Abelo (for my much agonised about Sublimox, which is in their sale) and I noticed they have pollen substitute half price (£2 / kg), presume close to sell by date.... The brand is Lyson Apikand with pollen. It contains 8% pollen which is higher than Candipolline Gold. Would consider putting it on hives if we have a slow start to spring, when colonies may benefit from some extra pollen. Has anyone used it / have a view on this particular product?

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/sale/fondant-with-pollen-1kg-sale/
It's not often you see the sublimox discounted but it's still a lot of money to splash out plus the need for a power source ... nice to have and I am very envious...

Is there a shortage of natural pollen resource in your area, Elaine?

Pollen patties are likely to result in strong colonies early in the season, which is useful if you have OSR but not if you don't, though it may help build colonies for early queen rearing.
Hi my colonies at home are in the southern Pennines, whilst no shortage of pollen the season is shorter. Whilst I don’t want to overly boost them out of line with the natural environment if we have a beast from the east and they can’t get out much they may need a small amount. Last couple of years I’ve given selected colonies about half a patty each. They should have enough carb stores but the amount of pollen collected seems to vary significantly between colonies. Some had 3 frames of pollen going into winter yet others had 1 plus any in their first super which I leave for them. I would have thought that was enough but it doesn't it degrade with age? The ingredients on this particular brand states 8% pollen rather than a substitute, so my heading to the thread was a bit misleading
Elaine

It's not often you see the sublimox discounted but it's still a lot of money to splash out plus the need for a power source ... nice to have and I am very envious...
I’ve splashed out on the inverter and my nephew who’s a great mechanic has given me a new battery so don’t have to keep taking it out the car :) I agonised for a while re cost and safety (plus other half ringing in my ears “do you really need more bee gear?! And “is that going in MY garage”). Yes! Rationalised with no spending on holidays this winter I could afford it and have upped my PPE!

I’ve splashed out on the inverter and my nephew who’s a great mechanic has given me a new battery so don’t have to keep taking it out the car :) I agonised for a while re cost and safety (plus other half ringing in my ears “do you really need more bee gear?! And “is that going in MY garage”). Yes! Rationalised with no spending on holidays this winter I could afford it and have upped my PPE!
You can always find a reason (excuse) :) ... I think yours is very reasonable....😜🤪😝

Which substitute would you recommend? Or do you collect your own?
I have a couple of the underfloor traps and with good weather they can bring in a decent amount, just store in the freezer. I normally collect to add small patties on cell rearing units. When feeding in the spring I bulked out any shop brought stuff or layered up with fondant. It’s little and often when adding the real thing though as it can go mouldy. Most areas around me are good for early pollen the 1s I always thought most in need would be those in barren farm land waiting for the rape😂I think the best you achieve is to compensate for poor spells of weather very early on.

Can i ask around what sort of time do you add pollen substitute and are there any negatives to adding it if they don't need it at that time?

The number 1 reason I use a small amount (1 lb) in the spring is because my bees will be stuck in the hive during a brood rearing cycle (weather) and deplete their internal vitellogenin stores which causes physiological stress. The stress leads to nutritional based immunity issues or shorter lives. I don't want to debate the idea that sub stimulates brood rearing. My stock only does what they want to do anyway. Put sub on when they can get fresh pollen, and you waste your time.

I have a couple of the underfloor traps and with good weather they can bring in a decent amount, just store in the freezer. I normally collect to add small patties on cell rearing units. When feeding in the spring I bulked out any shop brought stuff or layered up with fondant. It’s little and often when adding the real thing though as it can go mouldy. Most areas around me are good for early pollen the 1s I always thought most in need would be those in barren farm land waiting for the rape😂I think the best you achieve is to compensate for poor spells of weather very early on.
I've collected pollen and dryed it out and then stored it in sealed containers in the thought to use as pattys..
What I've found is adding gold dust pollen frames that I've spare(not many) if the spring is poor.
Up here we don't have a short supply of early pollen considering where we are..
There is alway gorse flowering and plenty of willow and Hazel not that I've seen bees on Hazel.

Imo most places have resonable sources of pollen and feeding pattys isn't needed..
Im yet to experiment with pattys and I probably never will.
So my pollen slowly ends up on our breakfast or puddings Or ice cream drinks which the nippers love.

The problem with drying it and making your own patties is you add water back to make any type of patty. Plus I would suspect it’s preserved better stored in the freezer but that’s only an assumption. As you say I suspect the majority of uk beeks don’t need to worry but it’s good to try out a few different things it’s part of the joy of beekeeping. Ian

Last edited:
The problem with drying it and making your own patties is you add water back to make any type of patty. Plus I would suspect it’s preserved better stored but that’s only an assumption. As you say I suspect the majority of uk beeks don’t need to worry but it’s good to try out a few different things it’s part of the joy of beekeeping. Ian
Well yeah I agree, I might very well try some pattys I was thinking of adding it to fondant?
I use fondant to stimulate queen's so the added pollen would it work?

Latest posts

Back