Pollen substitute-is it worth it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any one any views on whether pollen substitute really helps? What’s the point if you are feeding fondant anyway and the bees already have pollen (hard to discern though). Is apipasta or apipasta plus worth the money?

My personal experience.. if You are in area with abundance of pollen.. No need for substitute.. Even these cold days when windows of higher temps occur bees gather pollen at large, even landing boards get yellow color.. I believe it won't do harm but not help much as same..

Reactions: mbc
First year of making my own. Far better and cheaper to make your own. I've decide to give it a whirl as what harm can it do? If no discernable difference I'll have to take up plastering.

Latest post by Randy Oliver may be helpful.

Bear in mind that this is in California, where there is a pollen dearth in late summer.
I am using home made patties this year, containing collected pollen, as I am chasing OSR honey

I've run fair trials with reasonable numbers trying to see if I could push the bees a bit with subs to offer a better service to a commercial orchard I pollinate.
Results after a number of years and hundreds of hives indicated the sub (ultra bee, bee pro and a homemade mix with soya flour and brewers yeast) were all irrelevant, the hives that had slap (sub only) were roughly equivalent to the controls with nothing, whereas the hives that got just a slurp(syrup feed) or slap and slurp developed a bit quicker than controls.
My conclusion is that my bees have enough pollen but not enough nectar so supplementing the nectar is of far more value to them for early development.
Autumn trials didn't produce bigger colonies in spring either.

You make a valid point. Your experience in your location with your available forage and weather conditions gives you an indication of whats right for your colonies.

Latest posts

Back